Welcome to the UNC School of Medicine Application Process. This is an exciting and important time in your life. We realize the application process can be demanding, however, we will work hard to make the admissions process as easy and pleasant as possible for you. Please contact our office at: (919) 962-8331 with any questions.
We look forward to working with you.
Take the MCAT
Complete and Submit an Application
- All applications are available online through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) or by calling (202) 828-0600.
- Deadline: AMCAS applications for the Regular M.D. Program at UNC must be submitted to AMCAS by November 1st.
Updates to AMCAS and or Supplemental Applications
- We do not accept updates to your AMCAS application or your supplemental application post submission. The only exception is if an official from the Office of Admissions has requested that you do so. If you are offered an interview and you have a significant change or an added activity, you may share that information with your interviewer at the time of your interview.
Submit Letters of Recommendation
- For students attending a school with a pre-medical committee, a letter from that committee including the individual letters that are used in the summary are required. For students attending a school without a pre-medical committee, two letters of recommendation are required from professors who know you well and who have taught you in a formal classroom setting. One letter should be from a professor in your most recent major or degree-granting department, and the other may be from any professor of your choice.
- These required letters should be submitted through the AMCAS Letter Services by August 31st. We realize that some pre-medical committees will submit their letters after the August 31st date, and that will be fine, however, your application will be considered incomplete until your required letters are submitted. Please remember that it is your responsibility to make sure that you designate UNC School of Medicine as one the schools to receive your letters. If you have questions on how to do this, please contact AMCAS directly, or refer to the online AMCAS Instruction Manual.
- Applicants may submit a maximum of three optional letters in addition to the required letters. These optional letters must be submitted by December 31st. Optional letters must also be submitted through the AMCAS Letter Service
- Submission of Letters: Letters of recommendation submitted through the AMCAS Letter Service are the only ones that will be considered as we no longer accept hard copies. The AMCAS Letter Service accepts letters through these other sources:
- AMCAS Letter Service: More information about this process is available on the AMCAS students web site.
- VirtualEvals: VirtualEvals is a secure, web-based system through which health professions advisors can transmit letters of evaluation to health professions schools. Over 250 undergraduate schools use this service.
- If your letters are being transmitted to us by your undergraduate advising office, it is possible that office is using VirtualEvals. Once your letters are posted to VirtualEvals, they will be downloaded by AMCAS and made available to UNC School of Medicine. If you have a question about whether or not your advising office uses VirtualEvals, please contact your undergraduate advising office.
- We will review your AMCAS application materials and will then send supplemental invitations to the selected students. If an applicant is selected to be interviewed they will be notified via email. Our supplemental application invitations are sent via email and our fee is $68.00. You will have the option of paying by check, money order, MasterCard or Visa. Please note that it is very important that you submit all of your supplemental materials together within the time frame indicated in the email. Missing supplemental materials will result in the delay of processing your application and subsequently scheduling your interviews.
- In-state Applicants: Between June and January we will review your application materials. We will email supplemental application materials to those students who will be considered for an interview. Because the majority of each class must be filled by North Carolina residents, the criterion for supplemental applications is more competitive for out-of-state applicants.
- Out-of-State Applicants: Supplemental applications will be sent to qualified out-of-state applicants who meet our criteria. Because the majority of each matriculating class must be filled by North Carolina residents, the criterion for supplemental applications is more competitive for out-of-state applicants. Supplemental applications will typically be sent to qualified out-of-state applicants who meet the following academic criteria: science GPA (or BCPM) of 3.49; cumulative GPA of 3.59 and a total MCAT score of 33 or greater. Once we receive the supplemental application and the required fee, all materials will be reviewed and the applicant will then be considered for an interview. Those applicants selected to be interviewed will be contacted via email for scheduling their interviews.
- Re-Applicants: Qualified re-applicants will be invited to complete a supplemental application. Once the supplemental application and the required fee are returned, the committee will review all of your credentials and evaluate your updated applicant profile. After the review you will be considered for an interview, and if selected, you will be contacted via email by our Interview Coordinator regarding scheduling. Applications from students who have not gained admission in previous attempts are examined carefully for changes that would increase the probability of admission. Applicants whose credentials are determined to be sufficiently strengthened are reviewed without prejudice.
- Interviews will be conducted between September and February.
- Applicants must return their supplemental application and $68 (checks should made payable to UNC School of Medicine) application fee within two weeks after receiving the supplemental email invitation.
- When all the supplemental materials are received, and verified by the Admissions Office, the Interview Coordinator will contact you via email to schedule your interview day.
- Interviews are conducted every weekday, except for Thursday, from September through the end of February. No weekend or regional interviews are held.
- Our goal is to give your application thorough consideration and then let you know about the outcome of your application as quickly as possible. After your interview, the Admissions Committee members will meet to review and discuss your application. Typically, the committee’s decision to accept, decline to offer acceptance, and or defer a decision will usually be made within eight weeks following an interview. However, we cannot guarantee that you will receive a final answer within that time frame because other factors might influence the committee’s timetable.
- Applications are under continuous review allowing some admissions to be made throughout the interviewing season until the class is filled.
- All other final decisions notifications including acceptance, wait-list, and the unsuccessful applicants after interview will be sent to applicants by April.
- The class matriculates in August every year.
Things to Remember:
- Update your contact information as soon as possible if there are any changes to your address, phone numbers, or email. We will use the email address you provide on your AMCAS application to contact throughout the application process.
- Please indicate on your AMCAS application when you are taking the MCAT.
When to call:
- If you are traveling at any time during the interview season it is your responsibility to contact the Admissions Office with alternative contact information and, or to discuss any scheduling conflicts.
Notification of withdrawal from consideration or declination of acceptance:
- If for any reason during the application process you decide to withdraw your application from consideration, or if you are offered an acceptance in the future and decide not to matriculate at UNC School of Medicine, please notify us using this withdrawal/declination form.
If you have any questions regarding residency for North Carolina please contact Ms. Reid at (919) 966-9931.