1. How do you manage to stay balanced and healthy in spite of the busy med school schedule?
I try to make sure I give myself plenty of breaks so I don’t burn out—from taking 10-15 min off at a time while I’m studying, to taking a whole day (or two) off during off weekends and making sure I get plenty of sleep during on weekends, I consider my time away from the books just as important as my time with them. I also run several times per week, which is a good motivation for getting out of the library at a decent hour, in addition to being a great stress reliever. Having an active social life also helps me stay balanced; I’ve really enjoyed befriending my classmates through all of the fun social outings we have, which always offer something to look forward to.
2. Why do you want to become an advocate and what three qualities will you bring to the job?
I want to be an advocate so I can use my experience so far in medical school to help next year’s Smithies MS1s have the easiest transition into the UNC School of Medicine. As an advocate, I will bring accessibility for the MS1s to seek advice; honesty in the suggestions and advice I offer; and enthusiasm for helping them have a successful first year working to become physicians.
3. What’s the most important piece of advice you would give to an MS1 at the beginning of the year?
P = MD; don’t use school as justification to sacrifice all other elements of your life—stay connected to friends and family, and do things that enrich your life beyond being a student.
4. What is your favorite artery, organ, or nerve; and why?
The abducens nerve—probably the easiest one to study: it innervates one muscle that does one thing and travels one path without splitting.
5. If you had a theme song that played every time you entered a room, what would it be?
The James Bond theme totally.
6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
The Led Zeppelin Burger from Kuma’s Corner in Chicago—10 oz. burger topped with chopped pork barbecue, bacon, pickles and cheddar cheese. Can’t beat it. I realize the rest of my life wouldn’t be all that long if I only ate this, but it’s just that good.