Five principal goals guide the interdisciplinary efforts of the Center to:
- Improve literacy of children, youth, and adults with disabilities by developing research-based strategies, tools, curricula, and model programs.
- Increase the development and use of appropriate assessment and instructional strategies and materials to provide a wide range of educational opportunities for families and professionals.
- Increase the understanding of the relationship between literacy and communication through research and development.
- Improve the understanding and use of literacy learning strategies to enhance communication competencies of all persons with disabilities.
- Support the development and implementation of new and existing policies that improve literacy learning opportunities for persons with disabilities by collaborating with local, state, federal, and private agencies and organizations.