ATIA 2014 Handouts
Strengthening Your Core: A Core Vocabulary for the Common Core by Allison Dennis, Dr. Karen Erickson, and Dr. Penelope Hatch
ASHA 2013 Handouts
Journey to the Core: Developing a Core Vocabulary for the Common Core by Dr. Penelope Hatch, Allison Dennis, and Marlene Cummings
NC ACA 2013 Handouts
ATIA 2013 Conference Handouts
A Core Issue: A Core Vocabulary for the Common Core by Allison Dennis, Penelope Hatch, and Karen Erickson
AAC Core Word List (see comments below)
- Column B shows the rank of each listed word based on several factors. These factors include the number of core vocabulary lists a specific word appears in, whether the word is listed in Sally Clendon's research indicating the 150 most frequently used words in writing samples of students in grades K-4, and the U score.
- Column C shows the U score for each word. This number is based on how frequently the word is found in written English and how widely dispersed the word is among grade levels (K-12) and across subjects. The higher the U score, the more frequently the word occurs in written English and the more widely dispersed the word is.
- *Note-This vocabulary list is based on ongoing research. Therefore, there will likely be some changes in the current draft.
ASHA 2012 Conference Handouts
A Core Issue: A Core Vocabulary for the Common Core by Penelope Hatch, Karen Erickson, Allison Dennis, and Marlene Cummings
ISAAC 2012 Conference Handouts
Creating a Core Vocabulary for Common Core Curriculum by Karen Erickson, Penelope Hatch, Allison Dennis, and Marlene Cummings
ASHA 2011 Conference Handouts
Assessing Language-Based Contributions Underlying Poor Reading Achievement in Young Adolescents by Kristin Nellenbach and Karen Erickson
ISAAC 2008 Conference Handouts
New Voices Assessment: An Online Tool to Support Interdisciplinary Assessments by Karen Erickson and Patricia Porter
PC-24 Moving Forward: Curriculum Adaptations for Inclusion of Students with Severe Disabilities
Pati King DeBaun, Patrick Brune, Karen Biggerstaff, and Karen Erickson, Ph.D.
- LowTech AAC System Layout with core and activity specific vocabulary
- RedYellowGreen Directions for matching AAC with instruction
- Teaching Strategies for inclusive literacy and language arts classrooms
- Using CoWriter with beginning readers and writers
STFLS Surprises: Supporting a Range of Learners Through the Beginning Literacy Framework
Karen Erickson and Caroline Musselwhite
- Famous(CompLesson1) for use with the Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters book, Famous, in the Yearbook: Friends and Feelings set
- Famous(CompLesson2) for use with the Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters book, Famous, in the Yearbook: Friends and Feelings set
- Famous(ask vocab) for use with the Start-to-Finish Literacy Starters book, Famous, in the Yearbook: Friends and Feelings set
- STFLS Surprises handout the powerpoint slides from the presentation