Thank you for your interest in the clinical laboratory science program and profession!
The CLS program will prepare you for entry-level laboratory positions and a future in a constantly growing area of health care. Now is a great time to start your career in the clinical laboratory profession, because there is a nationwide shortage of clinical laboratory personnel. Our graduates have multiple job offers when they complete the program and go on to have rewarding careers in a wide variety of positions. We look forward to receiving your application and talking to you about the exciting field of clinical laboratory science.
Students typically enter the Clinical Laboratory Science program after completing general education requirements and prerequisite courses. Successful completion of the prerequisite courses listed under the major does not guarantee admission to the program. CLS students are selected on the basis of science and math prerequisite courses, grades, a written application, interviews, and letters of recommendation. Students who already have a baccalaureate degree and have the CLS prerequisite courses may apply for admission to the program and request a second baccalaureate degree from UNC.
Because enrollment is limited, students are encouraged to begin the application process early in the fall preceding the year of enrollment. Completed applications received by the second Tuesday in January will receive first consideration for admissions. Completed applications received after that date will be considered if there are positions available in the program. Transfer students should note that the last day to apply to the CLS program through Undergraduate Admissions is February 15th.
Beginning the application:
- Transfer Students, Second Degree Students and UNC-CH graduates: You must apply to UNC and to the CLS program through Undergraduate Admissions. When you indicate that you are applying to the CLS program, you should also get the CLS-specific questions on your application.
- Current UNC-Chapel Hill Students ONLY: Log in to the ConnectCarolina Student Center. In the "other academic" dropdown, select "Apply for Change of Major". Once you complete and submit this request, you will receive an email with instructions for completing your application. Download the CLS Supplemental Form to upload with your application.
Within the online application, you will be asked for information including:
- A list of current and planned courses. We need to know which courses you are currently taking and the courses you plan to take before entering the CLS program so we can make sure you will have the CLS pre-requisite courses and the courses needed to graduate from UNC-Chapel Hill.
- School and community activities.
- Work and volunteer experiences.
- Special recognition and honors.
- Recommendations. The email addresses of two recommenders will be required within the application for electronic submission and delivery. They will receive an automated email containing instructions to complete a recommendation form and to submit the form via email. Recommendations should be completed by college professors or teaching assistants who are familiar with your academic abilities.
- Essay. You will be asked to upload a 1-2 page typed statement describing your interest in CLS, your career goals, and how you think you can contribute to the CLS profession.
Please remember as you complete the online application:
- Include a current email address on your application because we will rely mainly on email for communication with applicants.
Thank you for applying to the UNC Clinical Laboratory Science program. We look forward to receiving your application.
Our contact information is:
Admissions Chair, Division of Clinical Laboratory Science
Department of Allied Health Sciences
CB# 7120, Bondurant Hall
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-7120