If you have specific questions related to financial aid, you may contact the AHS student services office financial aid representative at email@example.com.
Scholarships for UNC Clinical Laboratory Science Students
The following scholarships are available only to UNC CLS Students. Students may apply by completing the Department of Allied Health Sciences . Please see the for instructions on how to submit this form and supplemental information.
For scholarships with a need-based component, it may also be necessary to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA, Code 002974) in order for the award to be released to the student by the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. The application deadline for Division of CLS awards is June 1. Recipients will be chosen and notified by August 1 each year. The primary criteria considered are:
- potential for contributing to the CLS profession
- academic excellence
- personal characteristics
Louise M. Ward Scholarships
A bequest from the estate of Louise M. Ward, a former director of the UNC-Chapel Hill CLS program, has provided funds to assist and reward students at UNC studying to become Clinical Laboratory Scientists. Three second-year students will be selected as Louise Ward Scholars for 2014-15. Each scholar will be awarded $2000. Scholars will serve the Division of CLS in recruitment and laboratory support.
A gift from Susan Lanning-Taylor ('85), with matching funds from the Loyalty Fund, has provided for a scholarship for a second-year Clinical Laboratory Science Student. The Lanning-Taylor Scholar will be chosen based on the criteria listed above plus financial need. One scholar will be chosen to receive $2000.
WakeMed Health and Hospitals Annual Clinical Laboratory Science Scholarship
WakeMed Health and Hospitals will provide one $2000 scholarship in 2014-15. The Wake Med scholar will demonstrate outstanding potential to contribute to the CLS profession.
Raleigh Pathology Laboratory Associates Scholarship
Raleigh Pathology Laboratory Associates have pledged a gift to provide a scholarship in 2014-15. The RPLA scholar will demonstrate outstanding potential to contribute to the CLS profession. The scholar will receive $2000.
The Jesse C. Alphin Clinical Laboratory Scholarship
The Allene W. Alphin Clinical Laboratory Scholarship
A gift from Kay Alphin Johnson ('67) and Marvin Johnson, with matching funds from the Division of CLS, will provide two students with scholarships of $2000 each in 2014-15. With this gift, Kay and Marvin Johnson honor Kay’s parents and provide support for CLS students who will follow in Kay’s footsteps and make important contributions to the profession of clinical laboratory science.
Scholarships for UNC Molecular Diagnostic Science Students
The following scholarships are available only to UNC MDS Students. Students may apply by completing the Department of Allied Health Sciences . For scholarships with a need-based component, it may also be necessary to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( InformationFAFSA) in order for the award to be released to the student by the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. The application deadline for Division of CLS awards is June 1. Recipients will be chosen and notified by August 1 each year.
Corporate Sponsors Scholarships
The UNC MDS program is supported in part by sponsorships from various corporations in the molecular diagnostics industry. Part of the money given by Corporate Sponsors is used to provide scholarships each year. Each scholar will be awarded $3000.
The primary criteria considered are:
- professional competence and potential
- academic excellence
- personal characteristics
- Second-year MDS Corporate Sponsor Scholars will also be selected based on their teaching ability, and will assist faculty members in some MDS courses.
School-Based Tuition Scholarships
MDS students' tuition includes a "school-based tuition" component, which helps to provide adequate resources for a quality program. Part of the money received from school-based tuition is used to provide need-based financial assistance to students. The number and amount of awards varies based on enrollment, number of applicants, and need of applicants.
Other Aid Sources
- CLS and MDS students are also eligible for scholarships awarded by the Department of Allied Health Sciences, as well as emergency assistance funds.
- All UNC students are eligible for assistance through the UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. When applying for aid, be sure to advise the financial counselor of your program. Some scholarships may require a statement of enrollment; if you need this please contact the CLS office.
- College Foundation of North Carolina has links to many sources of aid and tools to help you find those for which you are eligible.
- Professional Associations such as ASCLS, ASCP and NCSCLS provide some scholarships for students enrolled in clinical laboratory education programs. The Program Director or other faculty will provide information and applications to students whenever we are made aware of opportunities.
The Health Sciences Library has prepared a useful guide for Allied Health Sciences students seeking financial aid.