This list describes in general the documentation that is required of all students in the Division of Clinical Laboratory Science. Students will receive instructions for documenting completion of the requirements, including deadlines for each requirement.
- All students must document completion of required immunizations, including the . Note that the flu shot is only required when students are in clinical rotations during flu season (2nd year CLS students). A Q&A document addressing common immunization questions may be found here.
- All students must document annually that they have read, understand, and agree to comply with program Policies and Procedures. All UNC and CLS policies apply whether the student is on-campus or off-campus. In addition, students are expected to adhere to the policies of the host facility. If the facility's policy (i.e., dress code) is more restrictive than the CLS policy, the student is governed by the facility policy.
- Incoming students must also document understanding of information found here.
- All students must complete safety training annually. This will include an on-site training component. (View the safety training objectives here.) Prior to on-site training, each student must complete 5 safety modules on the Laboratory Training Library site (Electrical Safety, Fire Safety, Biosafety, Chemical Safety, and Ergonomic Safety). You will receive instructions on how to access this resource. [Keep your password! You may be assigned other modules in this collection for your courses.] You must make >80% on each quiz. When you have completed the 5 modules, submit the "Training Library" page which displays your scores.
- All students must complete UNC School of Medicine's online HIPAA Training prior to clinical placements. HIPAA training must be renewed annually.
- All students will be required to have a criminal background check prior to clinical placements. More information (cost, etc.) will be provided before the check is performed. The background check must be renewed annually.
- All students will be required to have a drug screen prior to clinical placements. More information (cost, etc.) will be provided before the screen is performed.
- All students must have major medical insurance coverage in force during clinical rotations.
Effective fall 2010, the UNC system requires adequate coverage for all full-time, degree-seeking students. CLS students who do not submit a waiver with proof of personal coverage will be automatically enrolled in the mandatory student hard waiver plan.
Distance education students (MDS) must provide proof of coverage. MDS students may visit https://campushealth.unc.edu/charges-insurance/mandatory-student-health-insurance-hard-waiver-process/health-insurance-options for information on purchasing a policy, if needed.
- Students who are (or may be) assigned to a rotation at a Duke University Health System facility are required to complete DUHS training. More information & necessary forms will be provided.
- Students who are (or may be) assigned to a rotation at a Veterans' Affairs facility are required to complete multiple forms, plus online training located at https://www.tms.va.gov, and be fingerprinted. More information & necessary forms will be provided.
- Students completing a rotation at other sites may also be required to fulfill additional requirements (safety orientations, training modules, etc.). You will be informed of these requirements as needed.
The requirements of our clinical sites are subject to change at any time. You will be informed of any changes as we are made aware of them.