This list describes the documentation that is required of all students in the Division of Clinical Laboratory Science. Students will receive instructions for creating an online profile at www.CertifiedBackground.com to document completion of the requirements.
- All students must document completion of required immunizations. Tetanus, diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella are required by state law and must be documented within 30 days of matriculation, or registration will be cancelled. The additional requirements for Health Affairs students must be completed prior to clinical placements. Please note that the Hepatitis B vaccine series takes 7 months, and that you must have a titer 1-2 months after completion of the series. All students in clinical rotations are required to receive the seasonal flu vaccine when it becomes available.
- All students must document annually that they have read, understand, and agree to comply with program Policies and Procedures. All UNC and CLS policies apply whether the student is on-campus or off-campus. In addition, students are expected to adhere to the policies of the host facility. If the facility's policy (i.e., dress code) is more restrictive than the CLS policy, the student is governed by the facility policy.
- Incoming students must also document understanding of information found here.
- All students must complete safety training annually. This will include on-site training on Orientation Day. (View the safety training objectives here.) Prior to orientation, each student must complete 5 safety modules on the Laboratory Training Library site (Electrical Safety, Fire Safety, Biosafety, Chemical Safety, and Ergonomic Safety). You will receive instructions on how to access this resource. Keep your password! You may be assigned other modules in this collection for your courses. You must make >80% on each quiz. When you have completed the 5 modules, print the "Training Library" page which displays your scores, and upload this to CertifiedBackground.com.
- Incoming students must complete the Campus Health Service Latex Questionnaire. Returning students do not have to complete this form again unless your status has changed.
- All students must complete modules 1-5 (groups 1 & 2) of the UNC School of Medicine online HIPAA Training prior to clinical placements. HIPAA training must be renewed annually.
- All students will be required to have a criminal background check prior to clinical placements. More information (cost, etc.) will be provided before the check is performed. The background check must be renewed annually.
- All students must have major medical insurance coverage in force during clinical rotations.
(Effective fall 2010, the UNC system requires adequate coverage for all full-time, degree-seeking students. Distance education students (MDS) must provide proof of coverage.)
- Students completing a rotation at a Duke University Health System facility are required to complete DUHS training, and submit documentation of completion. More information & necessary forms will be provided.
- Students completing a rotation at a Veterans' Affairs facility are required to complete multiple forms, plus online training located at https://www.tms.va.gov, and be fingerprinted. More information & necessary forms will be provided.
- Students completing a rotation at other sites may also be required to fulfill additional requirements (safety orientations, drug screens, etc.). You will be informed of these requirements as we are made aware of them.
The requirements of our clinical sites are subject to change at any time. You will be informed of any changes as we are made aware of them.