Undergraduate students who wish to declare a minor or a second major must complete the requirements for the CLS program and the second major or minor before graduating from the CLS program. The Division of CLS will not approve plans that require additional courses after completion of the CLS program in order to complete a second major or a minor. UNC-Chapel Hill will not recognize a second major or minors for a student who does not graduate in 8 semesters.
- Students must submit a written plan to the Director of the Division of Clinical Laboratory Science showing how they have met or will meet the requirements for a second major before graduating from the CLS program. The plan should include:
- All the course requirements for the second major,
- The semesters in which those courses were taken, and
- The grade obtained in each course required for the second major.
- The Director of the Division of Clinical Laboratory Science will review the request to declare a second major. If approved, the Director will write a letter granting permission and will obtain written permission from the Chair of the Department of Allied Health Sciences.
- The student must schedule an academic advising appointment with an academic advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences by using the Academic Advising on-line appointment calendar. This calendar can be accessed at advising.unc.edu. Students must bring the permission letter and any relevant documentation to the appointment.
- In this appointment, an academic advisor will prepare an academic worksheet and review all general education and major requirements with the student.
- The academic advisor will then submit the academic worksheet to the Associate Dean of Academic Advising or designee for review. A letter will be sent to the student and to the Division of Clinical Laboratory Science indicating whether the second major request has been approved or denied. Please note that students who double major must complete their major in the College of Arts and Sciences within the eight semesters allotted to all students.
- The student should notify CLS student services representative, that he or she has met with an academic advisor so that Ms. Mesko can check for updated information on the student’s transcript.
Process must be completed and Ms. Mesko must be notified by December 1.