Applications to the MS program in occupational therapy are due by 11:55 PM EST on the first Tuesday in December for enrollment in the fall of the following year (December 6th to begin Fall of 2017). This is our only Admissions Cycle; we do not accept students to start in other than fall semesters. Please follow the steps below to prepare your application. PLEASE READ THE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FOR CLARIFICATION ON THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE SPECIFIC TO THE OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY PROGRAM.
For all questions regarding the Apply Now application system, please consult the UNC graduate admissions site: (http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions)
1. Fill out the UNC Graduate School admissions application at https://applynow.unc.edu/apply/.
- The online application will be available in early to mid-August.
- If you are a new applicant to UNC, you will be prompted in the online application to create an account.
- To create your account, you will be asked for your name and email address. The system will send you an email with a temporary PID. You will then be able to log in and create your own password to access the application at any time, until you submit. Once submitted, you cannot add to or edit your application.
- Once you are logged in, you will be able to start your application on the "Program of Study" page. On the left sidebar you will see the different sections of the application. Please read through the instructions carefully before starting your application.
- For the section on Program of Study, you will be prompted to select a major. If you are applying to the Master of Occupational Therapy program, ensure that you select Occupational Therapy (not Occupational Science) from the drop down menu.
- Select the Degree (Master of Science) from the drop down menu and follow the online instructions to continue with the various parts of the application.
- You do not need to complete the application in one sitting. You can save the application and continue working on it at a later date by returning to https://applynow.unc.edu/apply/. and signing in with your email address and password.
- Please Note: Although you can submit your application without paying the application fee at the same time, you MUST pay that nonrefundable application fee ($85.00) to the graduate school prior to the application deadline. Failure to pay the application fee by the deadline will result in your application being removed from consideration.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked in the online application to provide the name, credentials and email addresses for three references. These references will be contacted directly through the application system and asked to provide a recommendation for your application. Within the email they receive, there will be instructions about how to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. An applicant can tell when the recommendation(s) have been received by logging in to her/his application.
- Transcripts - applicants must upload electronic copies of transcripts from any previous college-level institutions at which they have taken classes. Please refer to the admissions instructions about transcripts on the Graduate School website. All transcripts are to be uploaded to the application. DO NOT MAIL TRANSCRIPTS.
- If you are in the process of taking one or more prerequisite courses in the fall, and will have an updated transcript at the end of the fall semester (after our application deadline) you will be able to upload one additional transcript after the application deadline. Please do this as soon as possible in order that those grades are considered with the rest of your application. Again, please do not mail transcripts.
- GRE Scores. Official GRE Scores must be submitted to the graduate school. In order for GRE scores to be received on time, it is recommended that applicants take the exam no later than mid- November. Scores must be no more than 5 years old. The school code for the Graduate School at UNC is 5816, there is no department specific code required. The Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy requires only the GRE general test, not a specific subject test.
- Statement of Purpose - The prompt for the statement of purpose can be found through the online application system and is detailed on the Graduate School's website. Click on Degrees and Programs and select Occupational Therapy from the drop down list of programs for the prompt. USE THIS PROMPT RATHER THAN THE GENERIC ONE ON THE APPLICATION ITSELF.
- If you are an International Applicant, please review the information about additional requirements that can be accessed by Clicking on this Link.
2. Upload supplemental materials under "Program Supplements."
- Directions for supplemental portions of the application can be found at the Graduate School's website - click on Degrees and Programs and select Occupational Therapy from the drop down list. Please note that we require a brief reflective statement and chart outlining your OT observation experiences.
Please note :
Applicants should be aware that a felony conviction may affect a graduate's eligibility to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or to attain state licensure. We suggest that applicants contact the NBCOT with any questions about their background that could impact eligibility for professional credentialing.
Return to MS Program Admissions section