Applications to the MS program in occupational therapy typically are due the first Tuesday in December for enrollment in the fall of the following year (December 6th to begin Fall of 2017). This is our only Admissions Cycle; we do not accept students to start in other than fall semesters. Please follow the steps below to prepare your application. PLEASE READ THE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FOR CLARIFICATION ON THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE SPECIFIC TO THE OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY PROGRAM.
For all questions regarding the ApplyYourself application system, please consult the UNC graduate admissions site: (http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions)
1. Fill out the UNC Graduate School admissions application at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=unc-ch
- The online application will be available in early to mid-August.
- If you are a new applicant to UNC, you will be prompted in the online application to create an account.
- After creating your account with a PIN and password, the system will send you an email with your PIN. You will then be able to use your PIN and password to access the graduate school application at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=unc-ch.
- Once you are logged in, click on Application for Admission to begin. On the left sidebar you will see the different sections of the application. Please read through the instructions carefully before starting your application.
- For the section on Plans for Graduate Study, you will be prompted to select a major. If you are applying to the Master of Occupational Therapy program, ensure that you select Occupational Therapy (not Occupational Science) from the drop down menu.
- NOTE: The formatting on the site can be confusing because there are multiple degree programs within different schools (e.g. Dentistry- Oral Hygiene). If you don't see Occupational Therapy listed right away, keep scrolling down!
- Select the Degree (Master of Science) in from the drop down menu and follow the online instructions to fill out the various parts of the application.
- You do not need to complete the application in one sitting. You can save the application and continue working on it at a later date by returning to https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=unc-ch and signing in with your PIN and password.
- Please Note: You will need to pay a nonrefundable application fee ($85.00) to the graduate school, which you will be prompted to do when you are ready to submit your application.
- Letters of Recommendation: You will be asked in the online application to provide the name, credentials and email addresses for three references. These recommenders will be contacted directly through the application system and asked to provide a recommendation for your application. Within the email they receive, there will be instructions about how to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Applicants can tell when the recommendation(s) have been received by logging in to their application.
- Transcripts - applicants must upload electronic copies of transcripts from any previous college-level institutions at which they have taken classes. Please refer to the admissions instructions about transcripts on the Graduate School website- you will only be required to mail an official hard copy of your transcript upon admittance to the program.
- GRE Scores. Official GRE Scores must be submitted to the graduate school. In order for GRE scores to be received on time, it is recommended that applicants take the exam no later than mid- November. Scores must be no more than 5 years old. The school code for the Graduate School at UNC is 5816, there is no department specific code required. The Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy requires only the GRE general test, not a specific subject test.
- Statement of purpose - The prompt for the statement of purpose can be found through the online application system and is detailed on the Graduate School's website. Click on Degrees and Programs and select Occupational Therapy from the drop down list of programs for the prompt.
- If you are an International Applicant, please review the information about additional requirements that can be accessed by Clicking on this Link.
2. Fill out the MS PROGRAM Supplemental Application.
- Directions for items in the supplemental application can be found by clicking on the Supplemental Application Requirements menu link on the navigation bar to the left side of this page or through the Graduate School's website- click on Degrees and Programs and select Occupational Therapy from the drop down list. Please note that we require a prompted essay (the Statement of Purpose) plus a brief reflective statement. Detailed instructions are provided on the Supplemental Application Requirements page.
- Once you begin your online application, you will be seamlessly linked to the supplemental application after you declare your degree intent on the Electronic Graduate School Application
Please note :
Applicants should be aware that a felony conviction may affect a graduate's eligibility to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or to attain state licensure. We suggest that applicants contact the NBCOT with any questions about their background that could impact eligibility for professional credentialing.
Return to MS Program Admissions section