Scholarship, Grant, and Award Information
UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid AHS Presentation on 11.29.11
- The June C. Allcott Fellowship
- Thorpe / Mitchell Diversity Leadership Development Award
- UNC Hospitals Volunteer Association’s Allied Health Sciences Fellowships
- The Medical Alumni Association Loyalty Fund Scholarships
Complete and electronically submit the online link below after reading all of the required information. The applications for the 2016-17 academic year will open on January 6, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. and close on May 1, 2016 at 5:00 p.m.
Only students who have been officially admitted to a program in the Department of Allied Health Sciences may complete the online application.
Please read this information before you begin to fill out the online application.
Below are some of the documents and information you may need to collect before beginning your application. Having these documents already collected and prepared can save you time as you will need to upload copies of some of these to the online application.
Complete the 2016-17 FAFSA using code 002974 if your scholarship requires it. We recommend that all students do it. You can use estimates to complete your FAFSA if you have not completed your taxes.
- Save a PDF or Word copy of your completed student aid report from FAFSA.
- Request a recommendation letter if the scholarship you are applying for requires it.
- Prepare your written statement ahead of time (again, for scholarships that require these).
- Review your loan history.
- Update your resume and save a copy as PDF or Word.
You will provide the information electronically via the online application. We recommending gathering as much information as possible
- Demographic information
- Academic program information
- Scholarship(s) for which you wish to apply
- Outside assistance you expect to receive (examples: parents, VA benefits, private scholarships)
- Information on dependents
STEP 3 (UPDATED 3/15/16):
Your personal introduction should include the following responses to enable the Financial Aid Committee to review your qualifications for the scholarships: (1) identifying information (name, division within the Department of Allied Health Sciences, and year in the program), (2) your interests as related to the award you are applying to receive, and (3) why you feel qualified for the scholarship(s) for which you are applying.
This can be done in one of two ways.
A) Write a 1,000 word or less written statement or
B) Create a one-to-two minute video using a smartphone, desktop or laptop and then upload it to a video service such as YouTube, Vimeo, VoiceThread, or any other online tool you prefer.
*Please note that if you choose to do the video you must provide an accessible hyperlink for the financial aid committee to be able to access your application. In addition, by completing this online application, you give the Department of Allied Health Sciences permission to review and confirm your financial aid information and to share your information with the Financial Aid Committee in the process of reviewing and awarding scholarship funds.*
Submitting your scholarship application online:
- Submit your answers using the online form available here: Allied Health Scholarship Application
- If you start an application but must return to it later, use the same computer that you began the online application with. Qualtrics will "remember" your previous application and allow you to finish it, but only if you are using the same computer that you began with.
- If you have questions or problems uploading your form, please email Perry Studevent at firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommendation letters may also be sent to that email address.
Division/program specific scholarships and awards
- Clinical Laboratory Science
- Occupational Science
- Physical Therapy
- Radiologic Science
- Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling
- Speech and Hearing Sciences
- UNC Neurodiagnostics and Sleep Science Program Scholarships
The UNC Hospitals Volunteer Association has generously provided emergency assistance funds to help UNC Allied Health Sciences students. The Department of Allied Health Sciences has a faculty committee to assist students with emergency needs and special financial requests related to education that arise during school. Please talk to any member of the committee and note that there are representatives available from each division within the Department of Allied Health Sciences.
Students are eligible for the UNCH Auxiliary emergency grant funds for reasons of a severe financial hardship for which the student has an immediate need for financial assistance. There may be occasions when emergency circumstances, defined as unforeseen, unplanned and unavoidable events, demand immediate attention and require a student to secure funds on short notice. Examples include a student’s medical emergency, threatened foreclosure or eviction from a primary residence or inability to provide basic necessities (food, clothing, medicine).
The financial aid committee members are as follows:
Laine Stewart – email@example.com - CLS
Linn Wakeford – firstname.lastname@example.org - OS
Judy Schmidt - email@example.com - CRMH
Lisa Johnston – firstname.lastname@example.org - PT
Lauren Noble – email@example.com - RS
Lisa Domby – firstname.lastname@example.org - SLP
Brenda Mitchell – email@example.com –Student Services
Perry Studevent - firstname.lastname@example.org - Student Services