Prospective Student FAQs

Concerning Admissions

Concerning Courses

Concerning Careers


Concerning Admissions

  • Must I complete all the prerequisite courses before I apply to a radiologic science program?
    No, you just need to have all the prerequisite courses completed BEFORE you BEGIN the program.  Most applicants are in the process of completing the prerequisites. Grades from prerequisites courses must meet the admission requirements.
  • My written interview for the Medical Imaging program has been scheduled; what types of things will I be asked?

The questions are related to healthcare, learning, time management, and career planning. You cannot really prepare or "study" for the written interviews except for working on writing skills. You will be answering the questions on a computer as a Word document so you can easily edit your responses before submitting them.

  • I am applying to the Radiologist Assistant program.  Does my BS degree in Biology satisfy the requirement for admission or do I need a Bachelor's Degree in radiologic science to apply?
A baccalaureate degree in radiologic science is preferred but your BS in biology would satisfy the minimum requirement for applying for admission to the RA program.


  • What are the prerequisites and minimum GPA for your program?
Please see the "Admissions" section for the program in which you are interested for detailed information.


  • Can I have an application mailed to me?

All application materials are provided online.  Please see "Admissions" for the specific program to which you are seeking admission.


  • I'm interested in applying for admission; could I make an appointment with a faculty member?

Faculty members are willing to meet with you individually as time permits.  We also offer several other opportunities for prospective students to obtain information and meet with program faculty, students and alumni.  Clinical observation may be arranged by contacting individuals identified on specific educational program information pages.  Information sessions are held at UNC- CH and collaborating medical facilities.

For the BS degree program, students can make an appointment to meet with Ms. Joy Renner in Academic Advising. Office hours are posted each semester and appointments can be scheduled online.  Check the Web site periodically for notices of information sessions.

Dr. Melissa Jackowski is the primary contact for the RA program.

  • I'm not a UNC student.  My undergraduate program did not offer the prerequisites listed for your radiologic science program.  How can I complete the pre-professional coursework that is required for admission?

    You can find a list of transferable courses at UNC Undergraduate Admissions.

    You will find a list of courses offered at the other school that have been transferred to Carolina previously. Your school may offer a course not on the list but you can check with the office at the school you have attended or with UNC admissions to see if the course not on the list will transfer.


  • Do I have to apply to the University when applying to the Certificate in Radiography program?
No, since this is a certificate program and not a degree program you are not required to apply to UNC.
  • I am applying to the Radiography certificate program and I have all the prerequisite courses, but do not have a degree. Can I still be admitted?

No, you must have an associate or bachelors’ degree before you begin the program. If you will be finished by the end of August, you may still apply and be interviewed. If qualified, acceptance will be tentative on the completion of your degree.

  • Where do I find the form needed for my letters of recommendation?

All application forms are located at "Admissions" for the program to which you are applying.  Letters of recommendation are not substitutes for the specific Program recommendation forms.

  • Who should I get to serve as my references?  Are there any guidelines?
Appropriate individuals for references include previous employers, instructors, or volunteer supervisors.  Friends and relatives will not be accepted as references for application.
  • How do I apply to a UNC-CH radiologic science program if I am a transfer student?


You will need to follow the admissions information for applying to the radiologic science program AND you must apply to  University Undergraduate Transfer Admissions.  You may do so concurrently.


  • Why am I required to complete/document a minimum of three hours of observation time in order to apply to the Radiography Program?

You want to be sure that this is the right career choice for you. The program requires a great deal of time, effort, and commitment.  We want students to be sure this is a good career avenue to pursue. We recommend that you visit a variety of settings and areas of radiography. For instance, Duke and UNC are academic medical centers and therefore are different from a community hospital such as Alamance.

Concerning Courses

  • Where do students go for clinical rotations?
Clinical education rotations associated with the Radiography Program occur at the three funding healthcare facilities:  Alamance Regional Medical Center, Duke University Medical Center, and University of North Carolina Healthcare.  Students will attend rotations at all facilities and should plan travel time accordingly. Students enrolled in the Medical Imaging Program will participate in clinical education activities at aforementioned facilities during the first professional year.  Depending on individual clinical interests/goals, second year students may engage in clinical opportunities at other healthcare facilities including:  WakeMed and Rex Hospital.  The Radiologist Assistant Program curriculum includes a radiologist-directed clinical preceptorship that is completed off-campus. Students are encouraged to identify a radiology practice to serve as preceptors. This radiology practice must include American Board of Radiology (ABR) certified radiologists who are willing to instruct and assess the competence of the RA student(s) working and learning under their supervision.  The Prospective RA Clinical Preceptor Packet details the educational agreement between the preceptor practice and The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Division of Radiologic Science.


  • I am a senior at UNC and need three more credit hours to graduate with a BA degree in History .  I've always been interested in radiology.  How do I register for a radiologic science course?
Only students enrolled in the BS Radiologic Science program can enroll in the radiologic science courses.

Concerning Careers


  • Do radiologic science graduates typically find jobs?

Yes, in a variety of settings. Most students begin their career in the area of clinical practice that was their concentration area during their senior year.

  • Do graduates from the UNC Radiologic Science program typically pass the national registry examination?
We have a 100% pass rate for all three programs we offer.