The Hearing Aid Selection appointment, or Functional Communication Assessment, is the next step in improving communication for hearing aid candidates. The appointment lasts approximately 60 minutes and includes additional testing in the sound treated booth.
Prior to the appointment, the patient will be asked to complete a questionnaire about hearing aid expectations (Characteristics of Amplification Tool or the APHAB)
During the appointment, the audiologist will:
- Conduct speech in noise testing
- Measure Loudness Discomfort Levels, used for setting limits of hearing aids
- Complete a Lifestyle Assessment
- Outline patient activity level
- Determine goals and expectations of new hearing aids
- Recommend hearing aids, based on:
- Hearing test results
- Functional Communication Assessment results
- Financial considerations
This appointment allows the patient to see hearing aids from various manufacturers, in different styles and colors. Once the patient makes a decision, the hearing aids will be ordered from the respective manufacturer. The fitting will be held approximately one to two weeks following the hearing aid selection.
Payment is due in full at the time of the hearing aid fitting.