Hearing Aid Fitting
The UNC HCC follows best practice guidelines set forth by the American Academy of Audiology.
During the fitting, the audiologist will:
- Check the physical fit of the hearing aids
- Complete Real-Ear-Measurements
- A small microphone is placed in the ear canal to measure the output of the hearing aid, which verifies that it is safe and effective
- Program the hearing aids using the manufacturer’s software to research based prescriptive targets
- Counsel the patient on hearing aid expectations
- Orientation of hearing aids, including daily cleaning and maintenance
Payment is due the day of the fitting.
Following the fitting, the patient has a 45 day evaluation and adjustment period. During this time, follow up appointments are scheduled to ensure the patient is receiving optimal benefit. The number of follow up appointments needed is specific to the individual. After the 45 day adjustment period is complete, audiologists recommend a 6 month and annual hearing aid check.