Ear plugs and ear muffs, if used properly, will reduce the level of noise that reaches your ears and can help protect you from dangerous noise. There are many different types of hearing protection, and some can be more appropriate for a given situation than others. Consult with your audiologist if you have questions about what type of hearing protection is best for you. Some types that are available include:
- Disposable ear plugs: fit in your ear and expand to keep out unwanted noise.
- Custom ear plugs: are molded specifically for your ear.
- Musician's ear plugs: reduce sound equally across different pitches to help preserve musical integrity.
- Ear muffs: fit over your ear and sit flush to your head to keep out unwanted noise.
- Swim plugs: designed to keep water out of ear canal.