What to expect during a hearing test at the UNC HCC:
A comprehensive hearing evaluation assesses an individual's ability to hear and ability to understand speech, and lasts approximately one hour. The test is completed by a North Carolina licensed audiologist and is conducted in a calibrated sound treated booth to ensure accurate results.
During the exam, the audiologist will:
- Complete a medical case history
- Examine the ears (otoscopy) to ensure clear canals and healthy ear drums.
- Conduct pure tone testing (air and bone), to determine the softest sounds a person can detect
- Conduct speech testing, to assess word understanding
- Review the results
- Discuss recommendations and next steps
- Refer patient to another specialist (ex: ENT, Neurologist) if needed
Additional testing may be warranted, depending on the outcome of the evaluation.