Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the retention rate of students in the program?

Over the past three years 98.5 percent of the students admitted to the MS program and 100 percent of those admitted to the AuD program have completed their degrees.

See passing rates and employment statistics for the AuD program here and for the MS-SLP here.

2. What is the pass rate on the Praxis exam? 
Over the past three years, 100 percent of the students in the MS and AuD programs have passed the Praxis exam.

See passing rates and employment statistics for the AuD program here and for the MS-SLP here.

3. What is the success rate for graduates seeking employment?

Over the past three years, 100 percent of those graduates in our MS and AuD programs who have desired to work, have been employed.

See passing rates and employment statistics for the AuD program here and for the MS-SLP here.

4. Does it matter if I do not have a major in speech pathology or a communications studies degree?
No, as long as you have a bachelor's degree. However, applicants for either the speech and hearing sciences program or audiology program are strongly encouraged to complete as many of the  prerequisites as possible  prior to entering the program. When applying, please submit an "enrollment verification" of the prerequisite courses that are in progress and describe your future course of action in your "personal statement". If you do not have your prerequisites completed, you may still apply to the program, but the more you have completed the more competitive a candidate you will be. You are not required to have them all completed before you APPLY, but it is STRONGLY urged that you have as many completed before entering the program. There are several online programs that offer these courses: Ohio State University, Utah State University, and The University of Alaska, to name a few. The courses can also be completed at an accredited university.

If you are admitted without having completed all of the necessary coursework you will not take a "leveling" year to complete your prerequisite courses, but will have them added to your graduate studies here which will more than likely add at least an additional semester to your time here.

5. What are the prerequisites for the Masters program?
Please see the section entitled "Pre-requisite Coursework" for more detailed information. In addition to the pre-professional coursework, we require an undergraduate course in statistics. We strongly recommend that students complete this course before beginning graduate studies. A grade of B- or better is required in order to get credit for the course.

6.   What are the prerequisites for the Au.D. program?
Please see the section entitled " Pre-requisite Coursework" for more detailed information.

7. What is the minimum GPA?
The minimum GPA is 3.0, however, those who are admitted into the program typically have higher GPAs. The average GPA ranges from 3.5 to 3.9. See profiles of admitted students under "programs of study."

8. What are the requirements for the GRE?
The Graduate School (SLP) and the School of Medicine (Au.D.) recommend that admitted students  obtain  a minimum score in at least the 50th percentile for both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. If the test is taken multiple times, the highest score in each section is taken. However, students with lower GREs may also be admitted due to other outstanding qualification (e.g., high GPA, excellent recommendation letters, etc.).

9. What are the institution codes for the GRE?
If you have not taken the exam yet and will be applying to either the MS-SLP or AuD program, you will need a "dual" code that will signal the testing center to send your scores to both CSDCAS and UNC. That code is 0083. Please make sure that your scores go to both applications. If you have already taken the exam, please have ETS send your scores again to the 0083 location.

10. Is the GRE analytical section considered by the admissions committee?
No. Just the verbal and quantitative sections.

11. How many pages are needed for my personal statement?
Your personal statement should be between 2-4 pages, double-spaced, and set to a 12-point font.

12. What types of things should I include in my personal statement?
You should write about why you are interested in becoming a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. For example, maybe you have a relative who has some type of communications disorder; maybe you've volunteered at a daycare or some place where you've seen a child receiving speech therapy; maybe you know someone who has a head injury (traumatic head injury) and is receiving speech therapy; or you know someone who has a hearing loss and was helped with a hearing aid. What has interested you in wanting to become a part of this field? In addition, write about any of your experiences related to working with children or adults or participating in research opportunities. For MS students this  statement will be your only interview. Please use it to let us know who you are. 

13. I'm not a very good standardized test-taker, but I have a good GPA. Will the admissions committee still review my application?
Yes. The admissions committee also considers how your recommenders rated you on your letter of recommendation. You must submit three letters of recommendation, two of which must to be from professors  who know your academic work best. If you have been out of school for awhile, please employ your professors in your prerequisite classes.

14. Could I have an application mailed to me?
Applications can only be submitted online.

15. Could I make an appointment with a faculty member?
Due to the large volume of requests, we are unable to conduct individual tours or interviews. We do, however, offer information sessions for prospective students. Attendance at information sessions does not enhance a student's application nor penalize students who are unable to come to UNC. Please click on the links below for more details about the next information session. It is not necessary to register for these sessions; however it would be helpful to have an email from you so we can contact you with any changes to the schedule.

16. Where do students have practicum opportunities?
We are proud to offer a wide range of clinical opportunities at medical, educational, and private practice settings, including: UNC Hospitals, UNC Dental School's Craniofacial Center, UNC Center for Development and Learning, the Veterans Administration Hospital, the UNC Frank Porter Graham Child Development Center, augumentative communication classrooms, area classrooms for children with speech, language, and hearing disorders, and local private practices in audiology and speech pathology. Clinical Education

17. My undergraduate program did not offer the prerequisites. Are individuals admitted that do not have all the pre-requisite coursework?
Please see the section entitled "Pre-requisite Coursework" for more detailed information. In addition to the pre-requisite coursework, we require an undergraduate course in statistics. We strongly recommend that students complete this course before beginning graduate studies.

18. Where do I find the form needed for my letters of recommendation? All letters of recommendation will be submitted to CSDCAS electronically.

19. Is it acceptable to have 4 letters of recommendation? Yes

20. Do I need to fill out any additional forms if I want to apply for departmental awards and scholarships?
Please complete and submit the Allied Health Sciences departmental scholarship application AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN ADMITTED  so that you may be considered for merit and need based assistance. As soon as the FAFSA is available please fill that out ASAP as well.

21. I am an international student. Do I need to take the TOEFL exam? All international applicants must submit acceptable, official TOEFL scores (reported directly from ETS). We accept no other English Language tests.

  • Standardized test scores must be official and are reportable for a period of two years from the date of the exam. Exam results more than two years old cannot be considered. Standardized test scores that are submitted to this institution are kept on file for only one year.
  • When you register for any tests, you should indicate the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Graduate School as a score recipient. If you did not specify the UNC-Chapel Hill Graduate School as a score recipient at the time of taking the test, you must promptly ask to send your scores to us. While photocopies of score reports are useful for informal evaluation, the official report of your scores must arrive before final review and admission can be offered.

Applicants who may qualify for an exception to the English Standardized exams:

  • Those from countries where English is the SOLE OFFICIAL language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada-except Québec, England, Ghana, Ireland, India, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and Wales)

The required minimum total score on the exams are:

  • The paper-based TOEFL exam = 590
  • The internet-based TOEFL exam = 100 with a minimum speaking score of 24


back to top