Current Research Projects
- Auditory Orienting and Language Outcomes in Children with Autism. Previously funded by the National Alliance for Autism Research/Autism Speaks. Watson, PI: 7/1/04-6/30/07.
- Early intervention for children screened positive for autism by the First Year Inventory. Funded by Autism Speaks. Baranek, PI: Period: 7/1/07-6/30/10.
- Social communication and symbolic play intervention for preschoolers with autism spectrum disorders. Institute for Educational Sciences. Watson, PI: Period: 7/1/07-6/30/11.
- Investigating disparities in age of diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders. Funded by the UNC Program on Ethnicity, Culture, and Health Outcomes. Watson, PI: Period: 9/1/07-8/31/08.
- Sensory Experiences in Children with Autism. Funded by the National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. Baranek, PI: Period 4/1/02-6/30/08.
- Communication and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities Project, NICHD, Gary Martin, PI: Period: 05/01/07 – 04/30/13.
- An Investigation of Neuropsychological Endophenotypes in autism and Fragile X.Funded by the National Institute of Mental Health. PI: Losh, M. 4/1/08-3/31/10
This study proposes to explore possible endophenotypes that may illuminate shared etiological pathways in autism and Fragile X syndrome.
- Characterizing the Language Endophenotype in Autism: Longitudinal, Genetic, and Neuropsychological Correlates. Funded by Autism Speaks. PI: Losh, M. 9/1/2006 – 6/30/2009
This research attempts to tease apart the language endophenotype in autism through examination of the early language profiles of parents of individuals with autism, and direct comparison of language and related cognitive abilities across individuals with autism and their parents.
DSHS and Related Faculty
Current Ph.D. Students: