Our local AMSA chapter works hard to host informative speakers, workshops, local projects, lobby days and more, but we need YOUR HELP to come up with better ideas and projects. We are looking for leaders for our five local action committees to mirror the national committees and we need you to step up and provide leadership to plan and carry out at least one lunchtime event and one project for each committee. If you have an event or project that you would be interested in doing, LET US KNOW!
Here are some events we have in mind for 2013-2014:
- Health Care legislation
- Platelet Drive
- National Primary Care Week
- PharmFree week
- Lunch talks about other global health and health policy issues
The national AMSA organization has a ton of student opportunities. Examples include the Leadership Training Institutes/Retreats, Regional Conference, and of course National Conference. Opportunities center around the four Strategic Priorities:
- Fighting for Universal Healthcare - To mobilize members in state and national coalitions to advocate for a health care reform process that involves sequential reform and a single-payer universal health care system.
- Eliminating Health Disparities - AMSA strives to empower students with knowledge about domestic and global health disparities and provide opportunities for students to take action to eliminate health disparities on the local, state, national, and international levels.
- Advocating for Diversity in Medicine - AMSA strives to improve the recruitment and retention of under-reperesented minorities into medicine while increasing the diversity of our own leadership, in order to create a tolerant, accepting and culturally diverse physician workforce, which can effectively serve our multicultural society.
- Transforming the Culture of Medical Education - Advocate for changes in medical education to create a humane and cooperative learning environment and develop physicians worthy of the public trust.