The University of North Carolina performs approximately 1694 cardiac and thoracic surgeries each year. These cases usually require anesthesiologists who have additional training in this field. The members of the cardiothoracic team are dedicated to quality patient care, which includes not only supportive training of medical students and residents, but also continuing to further their own education as new advances in the field arise. Many of our residents have gone on to do a cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship as a result of the excitement and encouragement they received from this team.
The members of the cardiothoracic anesthesia team include:
- Dr. Robert Kyle, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Division Chief, graduated from University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, and completed a residency in anesthesiology at Bay State Medical Center, as well as a cardiothoracic anesthesiology fellowship at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. He is also interested in Obstetric anesthesia and difficult airway management.
- Dr. Warner Lucas, Professor of Anesthesiology, received his medical degree from the University of Florida and completed his anesthesia training at the University of North Carolina. He is also board certified in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr. Lucas is actively involved in resident selection and resident and medical student education. He is active in clinical and laboratory research and has a special interest in and is certified in transesophageal echocardiography.
- Dr. David Zvara, Professor and Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology, received his medical degree, residency and cardiac training The Ohio State University. Dr. Zvara is a co-author of two textbooks on cardiac anesthesiology and echocardiography. He is active in the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists serving as the Chair of the Annual Program Committee. His clinical interests in cardiac anesthesiology include echocardiography, spinal cord injury with aortic surgery and systems management in perioperative care delivery.
- Dr. Brian Barrick, Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, received his dental degree from the University of North Carolina and his medical degree from Vanderbilt University before completing his anesthesiology residency at UNC in 2005. Dr. Barrick has a special interest in thoracic anesthesiology. He also participates as an instructor in the patient simulator and difficult airway courses.
- Susan M. Martinelli, Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, is the newest member of the cardiothoracic anesthesia team. She received her medical degree from the University of Wisconsin. She completed her anesthesia residency at UNC in 2007 and finished her cardiothoracic fellowship at Duke in 2008. She is certified in transesophogeal echocardiography. She is also interested in resident education.
The division members compliment one another in both educational and clinical endeavors. They share a humanistic approach to patient care and provide a supportive environment for educating both medical students and residents. They all have active lives away from work. Dr. Lucas, when not running ultra-marathons, is tending to a small cattle farm on the edge of town. Dr. Kyle is an avid rower, enjoys playing his drums and spends the rest of his free time with his family. Dr. Martinelli loves running, reading and watching Tarheel Basketball. All members of the division share the belief that quality patient care requires continuing medical education and dedication.