Renewal of Membership Process 2013
The renewal of membership application process for the Academy of Educators (AOE) is outlined below. The goals of the Academy are to:
1) Promote and support excellence in teaching and the work and career paths of excellent teachers.
2) Promote and fund curricular innovation, evidence-based curricular change and a scholarly approach to the education mission.
3) Provide a forum for education leadership and advice for the Dean, Vice Dean for Medical Education, and for the leadership of the curriculum.
The AOE, which started in 2007, now has approximately 200 members. Each Academy member has a time-limited membership. Those current members who wish renew their membership can apply for renewal using the Renewal of Membership process described below.
2013 Application Timeline
- Thursday, February 21, 2013 – Call for nominations goes to all SOM chairs and all faculty. All nominations must come from the chair, but interested faculty members are encouraged to discuss with their chair. The nomination can take the form of an e-mail, naming the nominated faculty member, sent to Ms Vickie Cecil (email@example.com ) and Dr. Heather Walker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Friday, March 8, 2013 – Deadline for nominations and renewals from department chairs
- Friday, March 22, 2013 – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees and renewals.
- Late March, 2013 - Selection Committee meets to select new members and approve renewals of current members.
- Mid/Late April, 2013 – New members are announced.
- May 16, 2013 – Annual Evening of Educational Scholarship and induction of new members
APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR RENEWAL
All materials should be submitted electronically no later than 5 pm on March 22, 2013 to Vickie Cecil, [email@example.com]. Letters of recommendation should be submitted as e-mail attachments sent directly from the office of the individual writing the letter. The attachments should be in PDF format--if that is not possible a Word doc will be accepted.
- Submit an updated CV. Applicants are asked to use the highlighting function in Word to highlight activities, awards, and publications that should be considered in support of this application.
- Request AN EMAIL of support from your department chair. This can be brief, and does not need to include teaching evaluations or other supporting documentation.
- Send a brief letter requesting renewal of your membership.
- List AOE activities that you have participated in over the last 5 years, and tell us which activities you would like to participate in during your future years as an Academy member. (Academy activities include: attendance at Quarterly Meetings, membership on committees or task forces, attendance at or giving a Faculty Development session, participation in Academy surveys, applicant for or recipient of an Academy mini grant or travel award, etc). Of note, whether or not you have participated in AOE activities during the past will not affect your eligibility for membership renewal in this cycle. We are considering, however, whether participation should be a requirement for continued membership going forward.