Membership Application Process 2015
The application process for the Academy of Educators (AOE) is outlined below.
The goals of the Academy are to:
1) Promote and support excellence in teaching and the work and career paths of excellent teachers.
2) Promote and fund curricular innovation, evidence-based curricular change and a scholarly approach to the education mission.
3) Provide a forum for education leadership and advice for the Dean, Vice Dean for Medical Education and the leadership of the curriculum.
The AOE, which started in 2006, now has more than 200 faculty and resident members. We seek faculty who are committed teachers of medical students and residents.
2015 Application Timeline
- Tuesday, February 3, 2015 – Call for nominations goes to all SOM chairs and all faculty. All nominations must come from the chair, but interested faculty members are encouraged to discuss with their chair. The nomination can take the form of an e-mail.
- Tuesday, March 3, 2015 – Deadline for nominations from department chairs.
- Monday, March 23, 2015 – Deadline for receiving completed applications from all nominees.
- Late March, 2015 - Selection Committee meets to select new members
- Early April, 2015 – New members are announced
- Wednesday, May 27, 2015 – Evening of Educational Scholarship and induction of new members.
Faculty members of all departments within the SOM, including AHEC, are eligible to apply to the AOE after two years of faculty appointment. Faculty new to the institution with extensive educational experience may be selected as members before two years on faculty at UNC. All nominations for Academy membership must come from the candidate’s departmental chair or designee. Interested individuals are encouraged to ask their chairs, or designee, to nominate them.
Successful applicants will need to document accomplishments in ONE or more of the following six areas:
- Direct teaching of medical students, residents, and fellows as well as PhD students and Post Docs, and mentoring of other teachers
- Instructional development and curriculum design
- Student/resident advising and mentoring
- Educational administration and leadership
- Educational research
- Continuing Medical Education
Academy membership will be awarded to faculty members who demonstrate excellence in teaching over the course of the most recent five years based on student, resident and peer assessments.
Membership will also be awarded to faculty members who demonstrate leadership by playing a major role in curriculum management and/or innovation as evidenced by chairing major committees, directing courses and/or engaging in education scholarship.
- Updated CV. Applicants are encouraged to use the highlighting function in Word to highlight activities, awards, and publications that should be considered in support of this application.
- Personal Statement. Describe activities and accomplishments that support “superior achievement” in at least one of the six categories mentioned above. Also include why membership in the AOE is being requested. This narrative may not exceed to two single-spaced pages.
- Letter of endorsement and support from your department chair. The chair’s letter of support should indicate why this individual has been chosen for this nomination over other good faculty in the department. In addition, the chair’s letter should include a summary of the faculty member’s student or resident evaluations, if relevant to the application.
- One or two additional letters from other faculty members or peers who are familiar with your contributions to medical student or resident teaching. If you teach in a SOM course or clerkship, it is important for one of the letters to be from the course or clerkship director who should also comment on the faculty member’s student evaluations and curricular innovations, as applicable. Similarly, if you primarily teach residents, one letter should be from the director of the Residency program in which you teach, commenting on resident evaluations and educational innovations as applicable.