- Advanced Practice Selective Orientation.
1) 1 Activity: Case-based write up, 1 page
2) 1 Project: Choose a project from one of the 9 SBP areas in online workbook, 2 pages. Examples of quality projects: Student Project Sample 1, Student Project Sample 2
- Complete the online course PS 101-105: Patient Safety and L101: Becoming a Leader in Health Care on the Institute for Health Improvement (IHI) Website. Email certificate of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additionally there may be other activities, depending on the site. You may refer to the full list of APS courses for an idea of what each course features.
The Cost Conundrum - What a Texas town can teach us about health care, by Atul Gawande (New Yorker)
Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us, by Steven Brill (TIME Magazine)
Systems-Based Practice "Kickoff" (Robert Gwyther, MD, MBA)
Visit The Kaiser Family Foundation website to review elements of Systems-Based Practice. Students may choose any header of interest (Health Costs, Uninsured, Women’s Health Policy, Health Reform, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.).
This selective is well suited for you to do alongside your PhD in a longitudinal format.