Aggressive or invasive behavior or threats, inflicted on an older adult - resulting in harmful effects on the older adult. The failure of a responsible party to provide assistance to ensure that the older adult's basic physical, psychological, social and financial needs are met, resulting in harmful effects for the older adult.
Types of Mistreatment
- Financial Exploitation
- Self Neglect
- Neglect / abuse from professional caregivers, assisted living homes or nursing care facilities.
Beacon Program Services
- Counseling / support
- Referrals to health care providers
- Referrals to community service agencies
Signs of Elder Mistreatment
If you are elderly – Are you in an environment in which you are...
- Afraid because you have been hurt or threatened by someone?
- Influenced to sign documents you don’t understand or have not read?
- Afraid to disagree with those around you?
- Isolated from your family or friends?
- Depressed and jumpy?
- Forced into doing things you don’t want to do?
Signs of Elder Neglect
A person who is being abused or neglected may:
- Be dehydrated
- Experience weight loss
- Spend great lengths of time alone
- Be afraid
- Have bruises, cuts, black eyes, welts, lacerations, rope marks, and possibly fractures
- Suddenly change their behavior
For an in-depth article explaining elder abuse, warning signs, and prevention tips see Guide to Elder Abuse
For more detailed information on elder mistreatment and neglect see the Clinical Training.