MRI safety training is required for all faculty, staff, and students who will work around and inside the MRI magnet rooms or will need access to the area. New users should contact Emilie Kearns to set up a time to attend a new user orientation.
Annual safety training for those affiliated with UNC who have an ONYEN can be found
When you have completed the training please forward Emilie Kearns the confirmation email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must also complete a screening form (see below) and send that to email@example.com or Radiology, CB # 7515, (919) 843-8719.
Those not affiliated with UNC should find a link to the safety power point, a screening form and the quiz below. Please review these items and return the screening form and quiz to Emilie Kearns at firstname.lastname@example.org or Radiology, CB # 7515, (919) 843-8719.
Training on IVIS Optical Imaging System:
Current training schedules are:
*October 7th, 2013, 2:00-3:30PM, Room 122 BRIC Building
*November 4th, 2013, 2:00-3:30PM, Room 122 BRIC Building
*December 2nd, 2013, 2:00-3:30PM, Room 122 BRIC Building
Please register the time with. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Genetics Medicine Imaging Lab Orientation:
The orientation will be mainly focused on logistics, rules, card access, and dealing with emergency. Operation of the imaging systems will be only briefly mentioned in the orientation. Users should attend training for either the IVIS system or the ultrasound separately before using the imaging system.
For users that need to use the GM imaging lab, please fill out the User Registration Form, and send to Dr. Hong Yuan. Your lab orientation will be arranged once we received your form.
1. 9.4T MRI Safety
• All visitors and subjects planning to enter the scan room must complete the MRI Screening Form. This form must be reviewed and approval must be given before entering the scan room. Remember, the magnet is always on!
• All metallic objects must be removed prior to entering the scan room.
• No objects or equipment may be taken into the MR scan room without prior approval.
Refer to MR Safety Training for more information.
2. Radiation Safety
• Anyone that has not approved for working with radioactivity materials should not enter the PET/CT lab for any experiments.
• To become an authorized user of radioactive material, you must register with the UNC Environment, Health and Safety Department ( ), and attend the mandatory radiation safety train course ( ).
• Anyone working with the radioactive materials should follow the guidelines for radiation safety, such as wearing radiation badge, wearing gloves to handle RAMs. The radiation safety manual can be found here: Radiation Safety Manual.
•Dr. Hong Yuan.