- M.D., Parma, 1965
The publications selected below are from a list of over 100 publications from an active research I led for 30 years with generous funding from NIH.
Currently I am involved in teaching and administration. Namely, I teach in the anatomy course for dental students and in the anatomy course for medical students. In addition, I coordinate the teaching of neuroscience in the first year of medical school for which course I also give lectures and participate in small groups. I am Associate Director of the Neurobiology Curriculum for graduate students. This is a large training program with more than 50 students supported in part by an NIH training grant.
- Lucifora S, Willcockson HH, Lu CR, Darstein M, Phend KD, Valtschanoff JG, Rustioni A. (2006) Presynaptic low- and high-affinity kainate receptors in nociceptive spinal afferents. Pain. Jan 120(1-2):97-105.
- Rustioni A. (2005) Modulation of sensory input to the spinal cord by presynaptic ionotropic glutamate receptors. Archives Italiennes de Biologie. 143:103-112.
- Lu CR, Willcockson HH, Phend KD, Lucifora S, Darstein M, Valtschanoff JG, and Rustioni A. (2005) Ionotropic glutamate receptors are expressed in GABAergic terminals in the rat superficial dorsal horn. J. Comp. Neurol. Apr. 20;486(2):169-178.
- Hwang SJ, Burette A, Rustioni A, Valtschanoff JG. (2004) Vanilloid receptor VR1-positive primary afferents are glutamatergic and contact spinal neurons that co-express neurokinin receptor NK1 and glutamate receptors. J. Neurocytol. May;33(3):321-9.
- Boukhelifa M., Hwang S.J., Valtschanoff J.G., Meeker R.B., Rustioni A., Otey C.A . (2003) A critical role for palladin in astrocyte morphology and response to injury. Molec. Cell. Neurosci. Aug;23(4):661-8.
- Lu C.R., Hwang S.J., Phend K.D., Rustioni A., Valtschanoff J.G. (2003) Primary afferent terminals that express presynaptic NR1 in rats are mainly from myelinated, mechanosensitive fibers. J. Comp. Neurol. 460: 191-202.
- Lu C.R., Hwang S.J., Phend K.D., Rustioni A., Valtschanoff J.G. (2002) Primary afferent terminals in spinal cord express presynaptic AMPA receptors. J. Neurosci. 22: 9522-9529.
- Hwang S.J., Rustioni A., Valtschanoff J.G. (2001) Kainate receptors in primary afferents to the rat gracile nucleus. Neurosci. Lett. 312: 137-140.
- Valtschanoff J.G., Rustioni A., Guo A. and Hwang S.J. (2001) Vanilloid receptor VR1 is both pre- and postsynaptic in the superficial laminae of the rat dorsal horn. J. Comp. Neurol. 436: 225-235.
- Hwang S.J., Pagliardini S., Boukhelifa M., Parast, M.M., Otey C.A., Rustioni A., and Valtschanoff J.G. (2001) Palladin is expressed preferentially in excitatory terminals in the rat central nervous system. J. Comp. Neurol. 436: 211-224.
- Hwang S.J., Pagliardini S., Rustioni A. and Valtschanoff J.G. (2001) Presynaptic kainate receptors in primary afferents to the superficial laminae of the rat spinal cord. J. Comp. Neurol. 436: 275-289.