- M.D., Sofia Medical University, 1986
- Postdoc, University of North Carolina, 1997-1999
- Postdoc, University of North Carolina, 1991-1994
- The Human Body: Structure and Development - human anatomy, embryology, and radiology for medical students
- National Institutes of Health
My primary research interest is in elucidating the role of vanilloid receptors (TRPV) in the mediation of pain perception in the dorsal horn of mammals in animal models of cystitis and arthritis. Recently, this line of research has expanded to include the study of activation of astrocytes and microglia in mouse models of nociception.
Other interests include amino acid neurotransmitters, their receptors and associated proteins in the postsynaptic densities in the brain and spinal cord, nitric oxide, and the functional role of the protein palladin in reactive astrocytes and glial scar formation after injury to the central nervous system.
3-D stacking of images obtained with laser confocal microscopy of multiple color immunofluorescence staining for TRPV1 (red), NK1 (green) and pERK (blue) allows visualization of internalization of NK1 in neurons of the deep dorsal horn (arrow), induced by noxious stimulation of the rat urinary bladder with mustard oil.
- Willcockson HH, Chen Y, Han JE, Valtschanoff JG (2010) Effect of genetic deletion of the vanilloid receptor TRPV1 on the expression of Substance P in sensory neurons of mice with adjuvant-induced arthritis. Neuropeptides, 44:293-297.
- Chen Y, Willcockson HH, Valtschanoff JG (2009) Influence of the vanilloid receptor TRPV1 on the activation of spinal cord glia in mouse models of pain. Exp Neurology, 220:383-390.
- Chen Y, Willcockson HH, Valtschanoff JG (2009) Vanilloid receptor TRPV1-mediated phosphorylation of ERK in murine adjuvant arthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 17:244-251.
- Chen Y, Willcockson HH, Valtschanoff JG (2008) Increased expression of CGRP in sensory afferents of arthritic mice – effect of genetic deletion of the vanilloid receptor TRPV1. Neuropeptides, 42:551-556.
- Willcockson HH, Valtschanoff JG (2008) AMPA and NMDA glutamate receptors are found in both peptidergic and non-peptidergic primary afferent neurons in the rat. Cell Tissue Res, 334:17-23.
- Cho WG, Valtschanoff JG (2008) Vanilloid receptor TRPV1-positive sensory afferents in the mouse ankle and knee joints. Brain Res,1219:59-65.
- Hung AY, Futai K, Sala C, Valtschanoff JG, Ryu J, Burgoon M, Kidd FL, Sung CC, Miyakawa T, Bear MF, Weinberg RJ, Sheng M (2008) Smaller dendritic spines, weaker synaptic transmission but enhanced spatial learning in mice lacking Shank1. J Neurosci, 28:1697-1708.
- Kim YS, Paik S, Cho Y, Shin H, Bae JY, Moritani M, Yoshida A, Ahn DK, Valtschanoff JG, Hwang SJ, Moon C, Bae YC (2008) Expression of P2X3 receptor in the trigeminal sensory nuclei of the rat. J Comp Neurol, 506:627-639.