- 12/2009 - Randell and collaborators awarded an ARRA RC1 Challenge grant
- 11/2009 - Nate Sowa, Zylka lab graduate student, awarded a Graduate Education Advancement Board Impact Award
- 9/2009 - Mark Zylka awarded Transformative R01 grant for his project Harnessing Ectonucleotidases to Treat Chronic Pain
- 9/2009 - Caron, LaMantia and Otey awarded supplements under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- 9/2009 - Anderson receives competitive renewal
- 9/2009 - Otey recieves approval for second year of funding from Elsa Pardee Foundation
- 9/2009 - Ben Philpot featured in UNC's endeavors magazine
- 8/2009 - Carie Facemire's research published in Hypertension generates press: Why Certain Cancer Treatments Cause High Blood Pressure
- 8/2009 - Adam Roberts (Philpot lab postdoctoral fellow) first-author publication in Neuron was featured in faculty of 1000
- 7/2009 - Faber lab publication is cover article for July issue of Circulation Research
- 7/2009 - New MD/PhD student Tricia Lenhart joins the Caron lab
- 7/2009 - Rawls lab publication, "Ontogeny and nutritional control of adipogenesis in zebrafish (Danio rerio)" is cover article in the Journal of Lipid Research
- 7/2009 - Tibetan monks and nuns in India learn neuroscience by using Ann Stuart's Neurons in Action software and tutorials.
- 7/2009 - The Zylka lab, in collaboration with labs at Caltech and the University of Pittsburgh, found that Mrgprd enhances excitability in nociceptive (pain-sensing) neurons. Their paper was published in the Journal of Neuroscience and was highlighted with a cover caption.
- 6/2009 - Samantha Strickland (Caron lab) and Maggie McCormick (Tzima lab) each receive an Integrative Vascular Biology training grant
- 6/2009 - Please welcome the department's newest graduate students: Sarah Bortvedt, Caitlin Collins, Gieira Jones, Lisa McCoig, John Sheridan and Samantha Strickland
- Philpot lab reverses plasticity defects in a mouse model of the mental retardation Angelman syndrome
Manuscript published in Nature Neuroscience
- 5/2009 - New Funding!
Sarah Street (a postdoc in the Zylka lab) and Hsien-Sung Huang (a postdoc in the Philpot lab) each received an NC TraC$10K Pilot Program award.
Sanford L. Steelman, Sr., bequests $100,000 to the department.
Hsien-Sung Huang, PhD, (Philpot lab) is awarded a NARSAD Young Investigator's Award
- 4/2009 - Bhat lab publishes in Results & Problems in Cell Differentiation
- 4/2009 - Otey lab's undergrad trainee, Varun Puvanesarajah, awarded a Goldwater Scholarship