Obsolete, Damaged or Unusable Equipment in your core?

Memo from Asset Management:

During the fiscal year-end review of the University’s financial statements, State Auditors recommend an annual review of our equipment inventories to determine if inventory values are overstated because our records include obsolete or damaged items.   Of particular concern is fully-depreciated equipment that has become unusable because of new technologies, but is still carried on the University’s records.

What to do: 

    1. Obsolete or damaged equipment items can be retained for parts but need to be removed from equipment inventories.   Submit a Capital Equipment Relocation Form (ES102) to Asset Management, affixing the equipment bar code decals to the form, and describe the item as “scrapped for parts.”   Send the form with the decals to Karen Gaster, Campus Box 1070.  The Capital Equipment Relocation Form is available at the following link:


    1. Items no longer needed or usable are sent to the Surplus Property Warehouse.  The Surplus Property Warehouse staff will pick up your items at no charge.  Registration for the Surplus Property Management System is required for departments and system users.  The registration form is at the following link:  http://www.unc.edu/finance/fd/md/am_spmsreg.pdf.   Already registered system users can create online surplus pickup requests at http://spms.unc.edu/spmssso/.

Contact Janet Rupert at jrupert@email.unc.edu or 843-5098 if you have questions.