The Center for Women's Health Research is part of the UNC School of Medicine and is the women's health research program for The Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research.
The mission of the Center for Women's Health Research (CWHR) at UNC is to improve women's health through research by focusing on diseases, disorders and conditions that affect women only, women predominately, and/or women differently than men.
We engage in multiple activies to carry out this mission including the following:
- Supporting individual investigators in designing studies and writing and submitting proposals
- Administering awarded grants
- Helping investigators find and develop the resources they need to conduct their research
- Conducting research with center faculty members
Because the field of women's health is extremely broad, we have adopted five topical areas to help focus research efforts over the next ten years:
- Perinatal health
- Cancers affecting women
- Obesity and diabetes
- Women's cardiovascular health
- Women's mental health and substance abuse