There are 3 cochlear implant companies on the market today:
|Implant Company||Device Warranty|
*All manufacturers offer a 10-year warranty for the inside portion of the cochlear implant system.
Warranty on external device
- Warranty policies go into effect on the day of first fit. A one-time replacement for loss or accidental damage (beyond repair) is available during the user's first 3 or 5-year warranty period. Warrantied items are replaced due to "normal wear and tear" only.
Coverage after warranty expires
- Service contracts can be purchased from the manufacturer before the warranty expires for loss, damage, and wear and tear.
- Some families choose to cover the cochlear implant through homeowner's insurance policies or through insurance providers, but coverage varies. This covers loss or damage only and not normal wear and tear.
- Proper care and storage will affect the durability of the external hardware.
- Cochlear implants are man-made medical electronics.
- The internal devices are designed to withstand long-term use, but we do not know if they will last a lifetime.
- Inside devices may fail due to electronic malfunction or due to a direct blow to the head. For this reason, we recommend parents carefully consider allowing their child to participate in "high risk" activities, such as contact sports or bicycling or rollerblading without a helmet.