University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Post Graduate and Training
MPH in General Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2002-2012 American Board of Emergency Medicine
- 1998 – 2008 American Board of Internal Medicine
Professional Societies and Memberships
American Pain Society, International Association for the Study of Pain, American College of Emergency Physicians
- McLean SA, Clauw DJ, Abelson JL, Liberzon I: The development of persistent pain and psychological morbidity after motor vehicle collision: integrating the potential role of stress response systems into the biopsychosocial model. Psychosom Med 67:783-90, 2005.
- McLean SA, Williams DA, Harris RE, Groner KH, Ambrose K, Lyden A, Gracely RH, Crofford LJ, Geisser ME, Biswas P, Clauw DJ. Momentary relationship between cortisol secretion and symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum. 11:3660-9, 2005
- Harris RE, Williams DA, McLean SA, Sen A, Hufford M, Gendreau M, Gracely RH, Clauw DJ. Characterization and consequences of pain variability in individuals with fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum. Arthritis Rheum. 11:3670-4, 2005.
- Harris RE, DA, Gracely RH, McLean SA, Williams DA, Giesecke T, Petzke, F, Clauw DJ: Comparison of clinical and evoked pain measures in fibromyalgia. J Pain. 7:521-7, 2006.
- McLean SA, Williams DA, Stein PK, Harris RE, Lyden AK, Whalen G, Park KM, Liberzon I, Sen A, Gracely RH, Baraniuk JN, Clauw DJ. Cerebrospinal Fluid Corticotropin-Releasing Factor Concentration is Associated with Pain but not Fatigue Symptoms in Patients with Fibromyalgia. Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2776-82, 2006.
- Harris RE, Clauw DJ, Scott DJ, McLean SA, Gracely RH, Zubieta JK. Accentuated Neural Pain Activity with Decreased µ-Opioid Receptor (MOR) Availability in Fibromyalgia. J Neurosci. 12:10000-6, 2007.
- Petrou M, Harris RE, Foerster BR, Mclean SA, Sen A, Clauw DJ, Sundgren PC. Proton MR spectroscopy in the evaluation of fibromyalgia patients: Comparison with healthy controls and correlation with symptom severity. Am J Neuroradiol. 29:913-8, 2008.
- Harris RE, Sundgren PC, Pang Y, Hsu M, Petrou M, Kim S, McLean SA, Gracely RH, Clauw DJ. Dynamic Levels of Glutamate within the Insula are Associated with Improvements in Multiple Pain Domains in Fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum 58:903-7, 2008.
- McLean SA, Kirsch N, Tan-Schriner C, Sen A, Frederiksen S, Harris R, Maixner W, Maio RF. Persistent post-concussion symptoms among individuals presenting to the emergency department with minor injury. Am J Emerg Med 27: 182-190, 2009.
Special Interests (Medical)
Biologic pathways mediating transition from acute to chronic pain after exposure to stress or trauma. Biologic pathways influencing the transition from acute to chronic psychological sequelea after exposure to stress or trauma. Developing genotype-based interventions to prevent the development of posttraumatic pain and psychological sequelae.
Special Interests (Personal)
Detroit Lions Football (sadly), Michigan State University Football (not quite as sadly)
We are running several large observational cohort studies and intervention studies in the areas including motor vehicle collision, sexual assault, major burn, and major trauma. Interested undergraduate and graduate students and others are welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org