Karen Serrano, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago
- Emergency Medicine
- University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics, Madison, WI
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
Professional Societies and Memberships
- Member, ACEP
- Member, AAEM
- Member, ACEP Education Committee
- Member, Hospital Infection Control Committee, UNC
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Serrano K, Fruhan S, Pulmonary infections. In Brown, DF, ed. Scientific American emergency medicine [online]. Hamilton (ON): Decker Intellectual Properties. [In press].
- Serrano, K. Abdominal and pelvic pain. In Rosh, A, ed. Emergency Medicine PreTest Self-Assessment & Review, 4th Ed. McGraw Hill. [In press].
- Mottram A, Serrano K. Cardiac arrest and cardiopulmonary resuscitation: Recent advances in management approach for cardiopulmonary resuscitation. In Jagadeesh, Balakumar, and Maung,, eds. Pathophysiology and Pharmacotherapy of Cardiovascular Disease. Springer-Verlag,Springer-Verlag, 2015: 1135-1147.
- Serrano K. Critical decisions in emergency medicine: Reactive airway emergencies in pediatric patients. ACEP News. June 2014.
- Serrano K, Tupesis J. Small bowel obstruction from potato and broccoli bezoar mimicking mesenteric ischemia. J Emerg Med. 2013 Jan;44::79-81.
- Serrano K, Westergaard, Ryan. Diagnosis and management of acute HIV in the emergency department. Emergency Medicine Reports. 2012 July;33(16).
- Serrano K. E-professionalism: Implications of social media on professionalism in medicine. SAEM Newsletter. March/April 2012.
- Serrano K. Change of shift: Back from the dead. Ann Emerg Med. 2011 Nov;58(5):494-5.
- Serrano K. Change of shift: On being a resident and a mom. Ann Emerg Med. 2010 May;55(5):481-482.
- Serrano K, Rebella G, Sansone J, Kim M. A rare case of posterior interosseous nerve palsy associated with radial head fracture. J Emerg Med. 2012;43(2):e115-7.
- Serrano K. Women residents, women physicians, and medicine’s future. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 2007 Aug;106(5):260-265.
- Curlin F, Serrano K, Baker M, Carricaburu S, Smucker D, Chin M. Following the call: How providers make sense of their decisions to work in faith-based and secular urban community health centers. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2006 Nov;17(4):944-957.
- Medical writing
- Boards review
- Airway and critical care resuscitation