Kevin Biese, MD, MAT
Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine and Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatrics
Vice-Chair of Academic Affairs
Co-Director Division of Geriatrics Emergency Medicine
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill
- Emergency Medicine
- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency
Post Graduate and Training
- Portland University - MS, Education
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
Professional Societies and Memberships
Special Honors and Awards
- Practice Change Leader for Aging and Health
- UNC SOM Academy of Educators Co - Director
- UNC School of Medicine Faculty AOA
- Academic Career Leadership Academy in Medicine (ACCLAIM)
- UNC Academy of Educators Scholarship Award
- John A. Hartford Center of Excellence Fellow
- Presidential Poster Award Presentation: American Geriatrics Society 2010
- Kenny ’62 and Carolyn Morris Medical Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professorship
- Biese K, LaMantia M, Shofer F, McCall B, Roberts E, Kizer J, Cairns CB, Busby – Whitehead J. A randomized trial exploring the impact of a phone call follow-up on care plan compliance among older adults discharged home from the emergency department. Academic Emergency Medicine. In Press
- LaMantia M, Stewart P, Platts-Mills T, Biese K, Forbach C, Zamora Z, McCall B, Shofer F, Cairns C, Busby-Whitehead J, Kizer JS. Predictive Value of Initial Triage Vital Signs for Critically Ill Older Adults. Western Journal Emergency Medicine. 2013; 14(5): 453-460.
- Biese K, Forbach C, Medlin R, Platts-Mills T, Scholer M, McCall B, Shofer F, LaMantia M, Hobgood C, Kizer J S, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns C. The Utility of a Practical Computer-Facilitated Medical Record Review in Identifying Selected Low Frequency Emergency Department Interventions in Older Adults. Academic Emergency Medicine 2013; 20(6): 621-628.
- Zamora Z, McCall B, Patel L, Platts-Mills T, Biese K, Kizer JS, Busby-Whitehead J. Implementation of a Web Based System to Improve the Transitional Care of Older Adults. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 2011; 27(2): 182-189.
- Biese K, Roberts E, LaMantia M, Zamora Z, Shofer F, Snyder G, Patel A, Hollar D, Kizer JS, Busby-Whitehead J. Effect of a geriatric curriculum on emergency medicine resident attitudes, knowledge, and decision making. Academic Emergency Medicine 2011; 18: S92-96.
- Tintinalli J, Shofer F, Biese K, Phipps J, Rabinovich S. Towards a New Paradigm: Goal-based residency training. Academic Emergency Medicine 2011; 18: S71-78.
- Platts-Mills TF, Biese K, LaMantia M, Zamora Z, Patel LN, McCall B, Egbulefu F, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns CB, Kizer JS. Nursing home revenue source and information availability during the emergency department evaluation of nursing home residents. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011 Feb 10
- Biese K, Leacock B, Osmond C, Hobgood C. Engaging Senior Residents as Leaders: A Novel Approach for Multiple Chief Roles. Journal Graduate Medical Education 2011; 3(2): 236-238.
- LaMantia M, Platts-Mills T, Biese K, Khandelwal C, Forbach C, Cairns C, Busby Whitehead J, Kizer J. Predicting Hospital Admissions and Returns to the Emergency Department for Elderly Patients. Academic Emergency Medicine 2010; 17: 252-259.
- Platts-Mills T, Travers D, Biese K, LaMantia M, McCall B, Kizer J, Busby-Whitehead J, Cairns C. Accuracy of the Emergency Severity Index Triage Instrument for Identifying Elderly Emergency Department Patients Receiving an Immediate Life-Saving Intervention. Academic Emergency Medicine 2010; 17: 238-243.
Special Interests (Medical)
Geriatric Emergency Medicine, medical simulation, medical education, medical student and resident education
Special Interests (Personal)
My 3 children and fantastic wife, running, literature, and skiing