Vice Chairman for Academic Affairs
Chief, Division of Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery
Endoscopic minimally invasive management of sinusitis, CSF rhinorrhea, and tumors of the anterior skull base; surgical management of sleep apnea and snoring; allergy.
- MD: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 1990
- Residency: General Surgery, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 1990-1991
- Residency: Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, The Combined Otolaryngology Training Program of Bostron University and Tufts University, Boston, MA, 1991-1995
- Fellowship: Rhinology and Sinus Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, 1995-1996
- Professor, Chief, Division of Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2008-present
- Professor, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, UNC, 2008-present
- Vice Chairman of Academic Affairs, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2008-present
- Associate Professor, Chief, Division of Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-2008
- Associate Professor, Director of Rhinology & Sinus Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology/Head&Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC School of Medicine, 1999-2001
- Senior Staff Surgeon, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Specializing in Management of Sinus Disease & Sleep Disorders, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, 1996-99
- Nathaniel and Sheila Harris Distinguished Professor – June 2011
- Distinguished Service Award - 2010 : American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Castle Connolly’s America’s Top Doctors, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Guest of Honor, New York Rhinology Meeting, May 16, 2008, New York, New York
- Presidential Citation, Triologic Society, May 1, 2008, Orlando, Florida
- Best Doctors in America, USA and North Carolina, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Medal for People’s Health, from the Minister of Health of Vietnam, Hanoi, Vietnam, August 24, 2007.
- Sam Sanders Basic Science Research Award, Discovering Eotaxin at the Frontier of Sinusitis. Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, Toronto, September, 2006
- Freshman Basic Science Course Award, 2006-7, University of North Carolina Medical School, August 16, 2006
- People’s Medal, Peoples Committee HCMC, Vietnam for service to people of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, March, 2006
- Humanitarian of the Year, Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Los Angeles, September, 2005
- Unlocking Possibilities Award, BrainLab, AG, Munich, Germany, 2004, 2005
- Who’s Who in America, 2001, 2004
- Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 2004
- Rhee JS, Weaver EM, Park SS, Baker SR, Hilger PA, Kriet JD, Murakami C, Senior BA, Rosenfeld RM, DiVittorio D. Clinical consensus statement: Diagnosis and management of nasal valve compromise. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Jul;143(1):48-59.PMID: 20620619 [PubMed – in process]Related citations.
- Ebert C, Senior B. A review of minimally invasive pituitary surgery: the evolution from maximally to minimally invasive surgery. Otorinolaringol. 2009;59:97-105.
- Hua X, Zeman KL, Zhou B, Hua Q, Senior BA, Tilley SL, Bennett WD. Noninvasive real-time measurement of nasal mucociliary clearance in mice by pinhole gamma scintigraphy. J Appl Physiol. 2010 Jan;108(1):189-96. Epub 2009 Oct 1.PMID: 19797687 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Related Citations.
- Garcia GJ, Rhee JS, Senior BA, Kimbell JS. Septal deviation and nasal resistance: an investigation using virtual surgery and computational fluid dynamics. AM J Rhinol Allergy. 2010 Jan-Feb;24(1):e46-53.PMID: 20109325 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]Related citations.
- Marple BF, Stringer SP, Batra PS, Bhattacharyya N, Chiu AG, CItardi MJ, Han JK, Kern RC, Kingdom TT, Lane AP, Orlandi RR, Ryan MW, Senior BA, Stewart MG; Task Force of the Rhinology and Paranasal Sinus Committee. Going to the next level: health care’s evolving expectations for evidence. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Nov;141(5):551-4. Epub 2009 Oct 1.PMID: 19861188 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations.
- Senior BA, Ebert CS, Bednarski KK, Bassim MK, Younes M, Sigounas D, Ewend MG. Minimally invasive pituitary surgery. Laryngoscope. 2008 Oct;118(10):1842-55.
- Das S, Maeso PA, Figueroa RE, Senior BA, Delgaudio JM, Sillers MJ, Schlosser RJ, Kountakis SE. The use of portable intraoperative computed tomography scanning for real-time image guidance: a pilot cadaver study. Am J Rhinol. 2008 Mar-Apr;22(2):166-9.
- Sigounas DG, Sharpless JL, Cheng DM, Johnson TG, Senior BA, Ewend MG. Predictors and incidence of central diabetes insipidus after endoscopic pituitary surgery. Neurosurgery. 2008 Jan;62(1):71-8; discussion 78-9.
- Dubin MG, Liu C, Lin SY, Senior BA. American Rhinologic Society member survey on "maximal medical therapy" for chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol. 2007 Jul Aug;21(4):483-8.
- Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Senior BA. The role of nasal endoscopy in the diagnosis and medical management of chronic rhinosinusitis. Clin Allergy Immunol. 2007;20:227-40.
- Bassim M, Senior BA. Endoscopic anatomy of the parasellar region. Am J Rhinol 2007 Jan Feb;21(1):27-31.Dejima K, Randell SH, Stutts MJ, Senior BA, Boucher RC. Potential role of abnormal ion transport in the pathogenesis of chronic sinusitis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006 Dec;132(12):1352-62
- Das S, Kim D, Cannon TY, Ebert CS, Senior BA. High-resolution computed tomography analysis of the greater palatine canal. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Nov-Dec;20(6):603-8
- Bassim M, Senior BA. Minimally Invasive Pituitary Surgery. Op Tech Otolaryngol 2006 March; 17(1):31-6.
- Melroy CT, Senior BA. Benign sinonasal neoplasms: a focus on inverting papilloma. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2006 Jun;39(3):601-17.
- Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Hardy SM, Senior BA. Analysis of methods to assess frontal sinus extent in osteoplastic flap surgery: Transillumination versus 6-ft Caldwell versus image guidance. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):77-83.
- Coffey CS, Sonnenburg RE, Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Senior BA. Endoscopically guided aerobic cultures in postsurgical patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):72-6.
- Hardy SM, Melroy C, White DR, Dubin M, Senior B. A comparison of computer-aided surgery registration methods for endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):48-52.
- Dubin MG, Ebert CS, Coffey CS, Melroy CT, Sonnenburg RE. Concordance of middle meatal swab and maxillary sinus aspirate in acute and chronic sinusitis: A meta-analysis. Am J Rhinol. 2005 Sep-Oct;19(5):462-70.
- Dubin MG, Sonnenburg RE, Melroy CT, Ebert CS, Coffey CS. Staged endoscopic and combined open/endoscopic approach in the management of inverted papilloma of the frontal sinus. Am J Rhinol. 2005 Sep-Oct;19(5):442-5.
- Bassim MK, Ebert CS, Sit RC, Senior BA. Radiation dose to the eyes and parotids during CT of the sinuses. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Oct;133(4):531-33.
- Zanation AM, Senior BA. The relationship between extraesophageal reflux and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Sleep Med Rev. 2005 Sep 21
- Couch ME, Senior BA. Nonsurgical and surgical treatments for sleep apnea. Anesthesiol Clin North America. 2005 Sep;23(3):525-34.
- Senior BA, Dubin MG, Sonnenburg RE, Melroy CT, Ewend MG Increased role of the otolaryngologist in endoscopic pituitary surgery: endoscopic hydroscopy of the sella. Am J Rhinol. 2005 Mar-Apr;19(2):181-4.
- Copeland BJ, Senior BA, Buchman CA, Pillsbury HC. The Accuracy of Computer Aided Surgery in Neurotologic Approaches to the Temporal Bone: A Cadaver Study, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Mar, 132(3): 421-8.
- White DR, Sonnenburg RE, Ewend MG, Senior BA. Safety of Minimally Invasive Pituitary Surgery (MIPS) Compared with a Traditional Approach, Laryngoscope, 2004 Nov, 114(11):1945-1948.
- Sonnenburg RE, White DR, Ewend MG, Senior BA. The Learning Curve in Minimally Invasive Pituitary Surgery. Am J Rhinol, 2004 July-Aug, 18(4):259-63.
- Dubin MG, White DR, Melroy CT, Gergan MT, Rutala WA, Senior BA. Multi-use Venturi Nasal Atomizer Contamination in a Clinical Rhinologic Practice. Am J Rhinol, May-Jun 2004, 18(3):151-6.
- Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Senior BA. Management of Benign Frontal Sinus Tumors with Osteoplastic Flap Obliteration. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, 2004 March 15(1):16-22
- Altman JS, Senior BA, Ransom E. The Effect of Electrocautery Versus Cold Scalpel Technique on the Incidence Early Postoperative Tonsillar Pillar Dehiscence after Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with Tonsillectomy. Laryngoscope, 2004 Feb, 114(2):294-6.
- Sonnenburg RE, Senior BA. Revision Endoscopic Frontal Sinus Surgery. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004 Feb; 12(1):49-52.
- Brinson GM, Senior BA, Yarbrough WG. Endoscopic Management of Retained Airgun Projectiles in the Paranasal Sinus. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004 Jan; 130(1):25-30.
- Dixon JW, Reebye UN, Cottrell DA, Senior BA. Rhinosinusitis: Diagnosis, Management, and Dental Implications. J Mass Dent Soc, 2004 Winter, 52(4):50-2.