Professor of Otolaryngology/Neurosurgery
Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs
Nathaniel and Sheila Harris Distinguished Professor
Chief, Division of Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery
Endoscopic minimally invasive management of sinusitis, CSF rhinorrhea, and tumors of the anterior skull base; surgical management of sleep apnea and snoring; allergy.
- Appointment Scheduler: Sonia Meeks (919) 966-3709
- Surgery Scheduler: Ali Turner (919) 966-8961
- Nurse: Melanie Mackenzie (984) 974-3515
- Administrative Coordinator: Kathy Bogie (919) 966-3344
- MD: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 1990
- Residency: General Surgery, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 1990-1991
- Residency: Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, The Combined Otolaryngology Training Program of Bostron University and Tufts University, Boston, MA, 1991-1995
- Fellowship: Rhinology and Sinus Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, 1995-1996
- Professor, Chief, Division of Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2008-present
- Professor, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, UNC, 2008-present
- Vice Chairman of Clinical Affairs, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2015-present
- Vice Chairman of Academic Affairs, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2008-2015
- Associate Professor, Chief, Division of Rhinology, Allergy, and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-2008
- Associate Professor, Director of Rhinology & Sinus Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology/Head&Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC School of Medicine, 1999-2001
- Senior Staff Surgeon, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Specializing in Management of Sinus Disease & Sleep Disorders, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, 1996-99
- Castle Connolly’s America’s Top Doctors, 2009-present
- Nathaniel and Sheila Harris Distinguished Professor – June 2011
- Distinguished Service Award - 2010 : American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Guest of Honor, New York Rhinology Meeting, May 16, 2008, New York, New York
- Presidential Citation, Triologic Society, May 1, 2008, Orlando, Florida
- Best Doctors in America, USA and North Carolina, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Medal for People’s Health, from the Minister of Health of Vietnam, Hanoi, Vietnam, August 24, 2007.
- Sam Sanders Basic Science Research Award, Discovering Eotaxin at the Frontier of Sinusitis. Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, Toronto, September, 2006
- Freshman Basic Science Course Award, 2006-7, University of North Carolina Medical School, August 16, 2006
- People’s Medal, Peoples Committee HCMC, Vietnam for service to people of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, March, 2006
- Humanitarian of the Year, Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Los Angeles, September, 2005
- Unlocking Possibilities Award, BrainLab, AG, Munich, Germany, 2004, 2005
- Who’s Who in America, 2001, 2004
- Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 2004
- Rhee JS, Weaver EM, Park SS, Baker SR, Hilger PA, Kriet JD, Murakami C, Senior BA, Rosenfeld RM, DiVittorio D. Clinical consensus statement: Diagnosis and management of nasal valve compromise. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Jul;143(1):48-59.PMID: 20620619 [PubMed – in process]Related citations.
- Ebert C, Senior B. A review of minimally invasive pituitary surgery: the evolution from maximally to minimally invasive surgery. Otorinolaringol. 2009;59:97-105.
- Hua X, Zeman KL, Zhou B, Hua Q, Senior BA, Tilley SL, Bennett WD. Noninvasive real-time measurement of nasal mucociliary clearance in mice by pinhole gamma scintigraphy. J Appl Physiol. 2010 Jan;108(1):189-96. Epub 2009 Oct 1.PMID: 19797687 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Related Citations.
- Garcia GJ, Rhee JS, Senior BA, Kimbell JS. Septal deviation and nasal resistance: an investigation using virtual surgery and computational fluid dynamics. AM J Rhinol Allergy. 2010 Jan-Feb;24(1):e46-53.PMID: 20109325 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]Related citations.
- Marple BF, Stringer SP, Batra PS, Bhattacharyya N, Chiu AG, CItardi MJ, Han JK, Kern RC, Kingdom TT, Lane AP, Orlandi RR, Ryan MW, Senior BA, Stewart MG; Task Force of the Rhinology and Paranasal Sinus Committee. Going to the next level: health care’s evolving expectations for evidence. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Nov;141(5):551-4. Epub 2009 Oct 1.PMID: 19861188 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Related citations.
- Senior BA, Ebert CS, Bednarski KK, Bassim MK, Younes M, Sigounas D, Ewend MG. Minimally invasive pituitary surgery. Laryngoscope. 2008 Oct;118(10):1842-55.
- Das S, Maeso PA, Figueroa RE, Senior BA, Delgaudio JM, Sillers MJ, Schlosser RJ, Kountakis SE. The use of portable intraoperative computed tomography scanning for real-time image guidance: a pilot cadaver study. Am J Rhinol. 2008 Mar-Apr;22(2):166-9.
- Sigounas DG, Sharpless JL, Cheng DM, Johnson TG, Senior BA, Ewend MG. Predictors and incidence of central diabetes insipidus after endoscopic pituitary surgery. Neurosurgery. 2008 Jan;62(1):71-8; discussion 78-9.
- Dubin MG, Liu C, Lin SY, Senior BA. American Rhinologic Society member survey on "maximal medical therapy" for chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol. 2007 Jul Aug;21(4):483-8.
- Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Senior BA. The role of nasal endoscopy in the diagnosis and medical management of chronic rhinosinusitis. Clin Allergy Immunol. 2007;20:227-40.
- Bassim M, Senior BA. Endoscopic anatomy of the parasellar region. Am J Rhinol 2007 Jan Feb;21(1):27-31.Dejima K, Randell SH, Stutts MJ, Senior BA, Boucher RC. Potential role of abnormal ion transport in the pathogenesis of chronic sinusitis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006 Dec;132(12):1352-62
- Das S, Kim D, Cannon TY, Ebert CS, Senior BA. High-resolution computed tomography analysis of the greater palatine canal. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Nov-Dec;20(6):603-8
- Bassim M, Senior BA. Minimally Invasive Pituitary Surgery. Op Tech Otolaryngol 2006 March; 17(1):31-6.
- Melroy CT, Senior BA. Benign sinonasal neoplasms: a focus on inverting papilloma. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2006 Jun;39(3):601-17.
- Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Hardy SM, Senior BA. Analysis of methods to assess frontal sinus extent in osteoplastic flap surgery: Transillumination versus 6-ft Caldwell versus image guidance. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):77-83.
- Coffey CS, Sonnenburg RE, Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Senior BA. Endoscopically guided aerobic cultures in postsurgical patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):72-6.
- Hardy SM, Melroy C, White DR, Dubin M, Senior B. A comparison of computer-aided surgery registration methods for endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol. 2006 Jan-Feb;20(1):48-52.
- Dubin MG, Ebert CS, Coffey CS, Melroy CT, Sonnenburg RE. Concordance of middle meatal swab and maxillary sinus aspirate in acute and chronic sinusitis: A meta-analysis. Am J Rhinol. 2005 Sep-Oct;19(5):462-70.
- Dubin MG, Sonnenburg RE, Melroy CT, Ebert CS, Coffey CS. Staged endoscopic and combined open/endoscopic approach in the management of inverted papilloma of the frontal sinus. Am J Rhinol. 2005 Sep-Oct;19(5):442-5.
- Bassim MK, Ebert CS, Sit RC, Senior BA. Radiation dose to the eyes and parotids during CT of the sinuses. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Oct;133(4):531-33.
- Zanation AM, Senior BA. The relationship between extraesophageal reflux and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Sleep Med Rev. 2005 Sep 21
- Couch ME, Senior BA. Nonsurgical and surgical treatments for sleep apnea. Anesthesiol Clin North America. 2005 Sep;23(3):525-34.
- Senior BA, Dubin MG, Sonnenburg RE, Melroy CT, Ewend MG Increased role of the otolaryngologist in endoscopic pituitary surgery: endoscopic hydroscopy of the sella. Am J Rhinol. 2005 Mar-Apr;19(2):181-4.
- Copeland BJ, Senior BA, Buchman CA, Pillsbury HC. The Accuracy of Computer Aided Surgery in Neurotologic Approaches to the Temporal Bone: A Cadaver Study, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Mar, 132(3): 421-8.
- White DR, Sonnenburg RE, Ewend MG, Senior BA. Safety of Minimally Invasive Pituitary Surgery (MIPS) Compared with a Traditional Approach, Laryngoscope, 2004 Nov, 114(11):1945-1948.
- Sonnenburg RE, White DR, Ewend MG, Senior BA. The Learning Curve in Minimally Invasive Pituitary Surgery. Am J Rhinol, 2004 July-Aug, 18(4):259-63.
- Dubin MG, White DR, Melroy CT, Gergan MT, Rutala WA, Senior BA. Multi-use Venturi Nasal Atomizer Contamination in a Clinical Rhinologic Practice. Am J Rhinol, May-Jun 2004, 18(3):151-6.
- Melroy CT, Dubin MG, Senior BA. Management of Benign Frontal Sinus Tumors with Osteoplastic Flap Obliteration. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, 2004 March 15(1):16-22
- Altman JS, Senior BA, Ransom E. The Effect of Electrocautery Versus Cold Scalpel Technique on the Incidence Early Postoperative Tonsillar Pillar Dehiscence after Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with Tonsillectomy. Laryngoscope, 2004 Feb, 114(2):294-6.
- Sonnenburg RE, Senior BA. Revision Endoscopic Frontal Sinus Surgery. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004 Feb; 12(1):49-52.
- Brinson GM, Senior BA, Yarbrough WG. Endoscopic Management of Retained Airgun Projectiles in the Paranasal Sinus. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004 Jan; 130(1):25-30.
- Dixon JW, Reebye UN, Cottrell DA, Senior BA. Rhinosinusitis: Diagnosis, Management, and Dental Implications. J Mass Dent Soc, 2004 Winter, 52(4):50-2.