Head and neck surgical oncology, including salivary malignancies, thyroid surgery, and surgical airway management.
- PhD: Dept. of Biochemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1988
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Cell Biology, Glaxo Research Institute, RTP, NC, 1988-1991
- Medical School: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1995
- Internship: General Surgery, UNC, 1995-1996
- Residency: Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 1996-2001
- Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2006-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 2001-2006
- Assistant Professor, Division of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, 2000-2001
- 2011 Nominated to the WHO Global Initiative for Emergency and Essential Surgical Care (GIEESC) Surgical Mission & Partnerships Coordinating Committee.
- 2009 Inductee into the YWCA Academy of Women in Science and Technology. The mission of the YWCA of the Greater Triangle Area is to empower women and eliminate racism.
- Elected to the University of North Carolina School of Medicine's Academy of Educators as a Fellow, March 2007
- UNC Academy of Educators Fellow 2007
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Honor Award, June 2005
- Lloyd Storrs Resident Research Award, American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society Southern Section Meeting, Received by Adam Zanation PGY3, January 2005
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2002, 2004
- Herbert H Fritz Special Merit Award for outstanding academic achievement 1991 to 1992 academic year.
- Medical Alumni Loyalty Fund Scholar 1993 to 1994. One of three students chosen for academic excellence, service to humanity and breadth of personal and educational experiences.
- Member Alpha Omega Alpha 1994
- G. Slaughter Fitz-Hugh Award 1998, for most excellent research paper presented to the American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society Southern Section Meeting.
Contributions to Textbooks
Shah RN, Cannon T and Shores CG. Infections and Disorders of the Neck and Upper Airway. In: Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 7th Edition. Tintinalli JE, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline D, Cydulka R and Meckler G (eds.). New York: McGraw-Hill, (Pub date Oct 2010)
Patel MR, Cannon T and Shores CG. Complications of Airway Devices. In: Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 7th Edition. Tintinalli JE, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline D, Cydulka R and Meckler G (eds.). New York: McGraw-Hill, (Pub date Oct 2010)
Refereed Journal Articles
Alford RE, Fried DV, Huang BY, Weissler M, Shores C, Shockley W, Hackman T, Zanation A, Hayes DN, Weiss J, Grilley-Olson J, Jewells V, Chera BS. Clinical Significance of Indeterminate Pulmonary Nodules in Patients with Locally Advanced Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma 2013 Head & Neck, accepted
Fried D, Mullins B, Weissler M, Shores C, Zanation A, Hackman T, Shockley W, Hayes N, Chera BS. Prognostic significance of bone invasion for oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma considered T1/T2 by AJCC size criteria. Head & Neck. 2013 Apr 25 [Epub ahead of print] PMID:23616341
Walter V, Xiaoying Yin, X, Matthew D. Wilkerson MD, Christopher R. Cabanski CR, Ni Zhao N, Du Y, Ang MK, Michele C. Hayward MC, Ashley H. Salazar AH, Hoadley KA, Karen Fritchie K, Sailey CG, Mark C. Weissler MC, Shockley WW, Adam M. Zanation AM, Hackman T, Thorne LB, William D. Funkhouser WD, Muldrew KL, Olshan AF, Randell SH, Wright FA, Shores CG, Hayes DN. Molecular subtypes in head and neck cancer exhibit distinct patterns of chromosomal gain and loss of canonical cancer genes. PLoS One 2013;8(2):e56823. Epub 2013 Feb 22 PMID:23451093
Olson D, Gulley ML, Tang W, Wokocha C, Mechanic O, Hosseinipour M, Gold S, Mwansambo C, Shores CG. Phase I clinical trial of valacyclovir and standard of care cyclophosphamide in children with endemic Burkitt lymphoma in Malawi. Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma & Leukemia 2012 Epub ahead of print PMID:23260601
Qureshi JS, Young S, Muyco AP, Borgstein E, Charles AG, Mulwafu W, Shores CG, Banza L, Cairns B, Viste A, Mkandawire N. Addressing Malawi's surgical workforce crisis: A sustainable paradigm for training and collaboration in Africa. Surgery. 2012 Oct 11. pii: S0039-6060(12)00445-X [Epub ahead of print] PMID:23063312
Yirmibesoglu E, Fried D, Shores C, Rosenman J, Weissler M, Hackman T, Chera BS. Incidence of Subclinical Nodal Disease at the Time of Salvage Surgery for Locally Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer Initially Treated With Definitive Radiation Therapy. Am J Clin Oncol. 2012 Jul 9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:22781386
Zhao N, Ang MK, Yin XY, Patel MR, Fritchie K, Thorne L, Muldrew KL, Hayward MC, Sun W, Wilkerson MD, Chera BS, Hackman T, Zanation AM, Grilley-Olson JE, Couch ME, Shockley WW, Weissler MC, Shores CG, Funkhouser WK, Olshan AF, Hayes DN. Different cellular p16(INK4a) localisation may signal different survival outcomes in head and neck cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012 Jul 24;107(3):482-90 PMID:22735904
Fried D, Weissler M, Shores C, Couch M, Hayes N, Hackman T, Zanation A, Qaqish B, Chera BS. Incidence of Nodal Disease After Nonsurgical Therapy in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients With Bilateral Neck Disease: Can a Bilateral Neck Dissection be Avoided? Am J Clin Oncol. 2012 Mar 2 [Epub ahead of print] PMID:22391429
Wolf LL, Ibrahim R, Miao C, Muyco A, Hosseinipour MC and Shores C. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy in a public referral hospital in Lilongwe, Malawi: spectrum of disease and associated risk factors. World J Surgery, 2012 Feb 29. [Epub ahead of print] PMID 22374539
Fried D, Khandani A, Shores C, Weissler M, Hayes N, Hackman T, Rosenman J and Chera BS Matched Cohort Analysis of the Effect of Pre-treatment Positron Emission Tomography on Clinical Outcomes of Head and Neck Cancer Patients Treated with Definitive Chemoradiotherapy, Head and Neck 2012 34(3):412-7
Deal AM, Patel MR, Thorp BD, Cannon TY, Shores, CG, Zanation AM. Liver Function Tests: Inadequate Screening modalit for Detection of Liver Metastasis in Head and Neck Carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 146(1):88-91 PMID: 21987648
Apisarnthanarax S, Dhruva N, Ardeshirpour F, Tepper J, Shores C, Rosenman JG, Shockley WW, Hayward M and Hayes DN. Concomitant Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy for High Risk Nonmelanoma Skin Carcinomas of the Head and Neck, Int J Surg Oncology 2011 2011:464829 PMID 2231250
Samuel JC, Qureshi JS, Mulima G, Shores CG, Cairns BA, Charles AG An Observational Study of the Etiology, Clinical Presentation and Outcomes Associated with Peritonitis in Lilongwe, Malawi. World J Emerg Surg 2011 6:37 PMID:22067899
Smyth JK, Deal AM, Huang B, Weissler M, Zanation A, and Shores C. Outcomes of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients with N3 Neck Disease Treated Primarily with Chemoradiation versus Surgical Resection. Laryngoscope 2011 121:1881-1887 PMID:21997727
Ang MK, Patel MR, Yin XY, Sundaram S, Fritchie K, Zhao N, Liu Y, Freemerman AJ, Wilkerson M, Walter V, Weissler MC, Shockley WW, Couch ME, Zanation AM, Hackman T, Chera BS, Harris SL, Miller CR, Thorne LB, Hayward MC, Funkhouser WK, Olshan AF, Shores CG, Makowksi L and Hayes DN. High XRCC1 Expression Is Associated With Poorer Survival In Patients With Head And Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Clinical Cancer Research 2011 17(20):6542-52 PMID:21908577
Patel MR, Stadler ME, Deal, Kim HS, Shores CG, MD, PhD, Zanation AM. STT3A, C1orf24, TFF3: Putative Markers for Characterization of Follicular Thyroid Neoplasms from Fine Needle Aspirates, Laryngoscope, 2011 121:983-9 PMID:21520112
Patel SC, Couch M, Weissler M, Shores C, Hackman T, Zanation A, Hayes DN, Chera BS. Increasing Incidence Trends of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oral Tongue in Young White Females, ages 18-44 J Clinical Oncol, 2011 29(11):1488-94 PMID:21383286
Qureshi JS, Samuel J, Lee C, Cairns B, Shores C and Charles AG. Surgery and Global Public Health: The UNC-Malawi Surgical Initiative as a Model for Sustainable Collaboration. World J Surgery 2011 35:17-21.
Yin X, Hayes DN, Shores CG. Antitumor activity of enzastaurin as radiation sensitizer in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head & Neck 2010 33(8):1106-14PMID: 20967867.
Tang W, Harmon P, Gulley ML, Mwansambo C, Kazembe PN, Martinson F, Wokocha C, Kenney SC, Hoffman I, Sigel C, Maygarden S, Hoffman M and Shores C. Viral Response to Chemotherapy in Endemic Burkitt Lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Apr 1;16(7):2055-64 PMID: 20233888
Yin X, Zhang H, Lundgren K, Wilson L, Burrows F and Shores CG. BIIB021, A Novel Hsp90 Inhibitor, Sensitizes Head And Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma To Radiotherapy. Int J Cancer. 2010 Mar 1;126(5):1216-25 PMID: 19662650.