Chief, Division of Voice and Swallowing Disorders
Director, UNC Voice Center
Director, Residency Program, Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Voice and swallowing disorders, diagnostic laryngeal EMG, laryngeal framework surgery, microsurgical treatment of laryngeal pathology.
- MD: University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA, 1994
- Internship: General Surgery, UNC, 1994-95
- Residency: Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC, 1995-1999
- Fellowship, Voice and Swallowing Disorders: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1999-2000
- Professor and Chief, Division of Voice and Swallowing Disorders, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Univ. of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, 2012-present
- Residency Program Director, UNC-Chapel Hill Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, 2011-present
- Associate Professor and Chief, Division of Voice and Swallowing Disorders, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Univ. of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, 2004-2012
- Courtesy Staff, Magee Women's Hospital, Dept. of Surgery, Pittsburgh, PA, 2002-2004
- Consultant/Attending, VA Stars and Stripes, Healthcare Network, Dept. of Surgical Specialty Service Line, Pittsburgh, PA, 2002-2004
- Assistant Professor Univ. of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Dept. of Otolaryngology, Pittsburgh, PA, 2000-2004
- Consulting Staff, Healthsouth/Harmarville, Pittsburgh, PA, 2000-2004
- Consulting Staff, UPMC Rehabilitation Hospital, Dept. of Otolaryngology, Pittsburgh, PA, 2000-2004
- Courtesy Staff, Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA, 2000-2004
- Clinical Instructor, Dept. of Otolaryngology, Vanderbilt University, 1999-2000
- Novel CO(2) laser robotic controller outperforms experienced laser operators in tasks of accuracy and performance repeatability. Wong YT, Finley CC, Giallo JF 2nd, Buckmire RA. Laryngoscope. 2011 Aug;121(8):1738-42
- Shaheen NJ, Crockett SD, Bright SD, Madanick RD, Buckmire R, Couch M, Dellon ES, Galanko JA, Sharpless G, Morgan DR, Spacek MB, Heidt-Davis P, Henke D. Randomised Clinical Trial: High-Dose Acid Suppression for Chronic Cough- A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study". Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011 Jan;33(2):225-34.
- Buckmire RA, Bryson P, Patel M. Type I Gore-Tex Laryngoplasty for Glottic Incompetence in Mobile Vocal Folds. Journal of Voice. 2011 May;25(3):288-92.
- Dellon ES, Cullen NR, Madanick RD, Buckmire RA, Grimm IS, Weissler MC, Couch ME, Shaheen NJ. Outcomes of a combined antegrade and retrograde approach for dilation of radiation inducted esophageal strictures. Gastrointest Endoscopy, June 2010, Volume 71(7) , pp1122-1129
- Reickert S, Buckmire R, Sulica L. Cricoid chondrosarcoma presenting as breathy dysphonia. Ear Nose & Throat Journal 2009October; 88(10): 1144-1146
- Buckmire R. Surgical Management of SLLP Injection during Injection Laryngoplasty: Case series and Review of the literature. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2008 (accepted for publication)
- Andrade Filho PA, Carrau RL, Buckmire RA. Safety and Cost Effectiveness of Intra-Office Flexible Videolaryngoscopy with Transoral Vocal Fold Injection in Dysphagic Patients. Am J Otolaryngol, 2006 Sep-Oct; 27(5):319-22.
- Rosen C, Filho P, Scheffel L, Buckmire R. Oropharyngeal Complications of Suspension Laryngoscopy: A Prospective Study. Laryngoscope. 2005 Sep;115(9):1681-4.
- Buckmire RA, Kwon TK. Bilateral obstructing laryngeal epithelial adenomatous hamartomas. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2005 Mar;131(3):259-61.
- Kwon TK, Buckmire RA. Injection laryngoplasty for the management of unilateral vocal fold paralysis. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2004 Dec;12(6):538-42.
- Lane AP, Buckmire RA, Mukherji S, Meredith SM. The role of CT in the evaluation of retromolar trigone cancer. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2000;122(5):673-7.