Sorters - MoFlo, MoFlo XDP, Reflection
The sorters may only be scheduled by appointment with Facility staff. If possible contact the staff member primarily responsible for the instrument you wish to use or contact any of the staff if you don't know or don't care (may take some extra time to confirm the schedule with the operator). You are required to fill out the "Sorting Request Form" and also, if you have biohazard containing samples, the "Biosafety Form". Please click on the desired form to download or open (using Microsoft Word) , fill out, and print the relevant forms and submit via FAX. Instructions are included on the forms.
Appointments on the sorters can only be scheduled by Facility staff. We prefer that you call us to make appointments as opposed to an e-mail as discussion is often needed.
Analysis Cytometers - FACScan/FACSCalibur/CyAn/LSRII
USE YOUR FLOW CYTOMETRY ASSIGNED LOGIN AND PASSWORD
Scheduling User Operated Instruments
AN UP-TO-THE-MINUTE CORRECT CALENDAR will always be visible on-line THROUGH the website.
Investigators may schedule their own time for those machines which are available as investigator operated (FACScan, FACSCalibur, CyAns, Offline Computer, 3I Microscope).
For appointments, on any of the above instruments, that require Flow Facility staff participation please ONLY schedule time AFTER making an appointment with us.
Rules on scheduled time:
Lock out: The calendar will lock users out from reducing/deleting scheduled time on a rolling advance 36 hour basis. If you don't use your scheduled time you will be billed unless you have an acceptable excuse or we can give the time to someone else (new appointments only). Always call us if you can not keep an appointment and let us decide if you have a valid excuse. Users will now be able to make additions and any changes (that do not reduce your scheduled amount of time) to the schedule at any time prior to an appointment - this includes moving time within the scheduled day. Once you are in your appointment time you may extend your time only by adding a new appointment in the time slot immediately following your time, if time is available.
You must enter a schedule on-line. If you use the machine without scheduling on-line you will be billed a $10.00 surcharge (recorded by the computer) for our time to extract your info from the computer and enter it in the calendar for our archive records required for auditing purposes. Also if you are on the machine without an appointment entered in the on-line/web calendar and another user books on-line all or part of the time you planned to use you MUST leave the machine when that user arrives. To make changes that require modifying someone else's scheduled time (e.g. when someone finishes early) you must contact Facility staff to update the schedule. Failing to do so may mean you are using the machine without an appointment and subject to the rules listed above.
In order to prevent capricious scheduling of appointments we require prior notification of cancellations or you will be charged for the full time of the appointment. For the analyzers we require a 36 hour notification. For the sorters we require a 7 working day notice to avoid a charge. Please always let us know the circumstances of the need for a cancellation so 1) we may decide if you will be excused from the charges and 2) that we may try to fill the time with another appointment that may be on the waiting list. If we fill some or all of your cancelled time with a new appointment you will not be charged for the amount of time used for the replacement appointment. Exceptions to this rule include the FACScan and FACS Calibur, to accomodate investigators running experiments with samples from patients with a potential for no-showor cancelling appointments.
Edit User Info:
Users may now edit certain of their user information for the calendars. To do so click on your username shown in blue on the left side margin outside of the actual calendar.
The "Edit User" dialog opens. You may edit any field value except you are not allowed to edit your user name. The name, email address, phone number (where you are most reachable), account number (see below), and Principal Investigator (i.e who is usually paying the bill) are required fields to be completed and you can not schedule an appointment without completing this information. Your account number should be updated as it changes. You may also edit this information in the "Add Event" and "Event Review" dialogs.
To schedule time:
When scheduling time you are now required to enter the account number you wish to be billed - please have it available before attempting to schedule time. Also if you are scheduling the FACScan you must submit a "Biosafety Form":
- Select the instrument you wish to schedule from the list to the left - you can change to another calendar once in the scheduling software.
- To view the calendar - Log in by entering your UserID and Password (both are case sensitive).
- AM times are on the top row and PM times are on the bottom row for each day.
- The time slots in very light pink are available for scheduling.
- The time slots in dark gray are times already scheduled by other users.
- When logged into a calendar, any appointments that are yours will show the edit and delete (if appropriate) icons.
- You may view the name, phone number, and email address of the user for any scheduled time by clicking on the appointment to display the "Event Review" window.
- The time of day grids (top and bottom most rows in each day) - normally colored light gray - will show in pink the time period currently in lockout. These times are available for scheduling and editing but with some restrictions (see below).
- Click on the time box you wish your appointment to start.
- The "Add Event" dialog opens. Confirm that your personal information, especially account number is correct.
- Your name, phone number, PI, email address, and account number are required fields. If any of these need changing you may edit them on this screen.
- Confirm that the date and start time are shown correctly.
- Select from the drop down list the length of time you wish for the appointment.
- Click on "Submit"
- Confirm your appointment is correct on the calendar.
To edit a scheduled appointment:
- In the appointment block you wish to edit you may see one or more of three possible icons depending on whether you are within the lockout period or not.
- If you are not in the lockout period the "edit" icon (blue and yellow pen) and the "cancel" icon (red X) will be shown.
- If you are within the lockout period only the partial edit icon (edit icon overlaid with a lock) will be shown.
- To edit the appointment click on the "edit" or partial edit icon. You will go to the "Edit Event" dialog. You may edit your personal information in this screen also.
- If you wish to cancel simply click on the red X and you will enter the "Confirm Deletion" dialog.
- If you wish to edit click on the edit icon and you will enter the "Edit Event" dialog.
- Outside of the lockout period you may make any edit you wish including deleting.
- During the lockout period you may not delete or shorten your appointment. Contact the Facility staff AND check the "Make Available" box on the edit event page (click on your appointment to open the "Edit Event" dialog).
- During the lockout period you may edit your start time (earlier or later) but you are not allowed to move the start time off of the lockout period nor off of the originally scheduled day (the end time may extend past the lockout period or the end time may extend into the next day - i.e. past midnight).
- During the lockout period you may extend your time unless the appointment time has already commenced in which case you must make a new additional appointment to extend your time.
- During the lockout period the software will prevent you from deleting or shortening your scheduled appointment - to do so you must contact Facility staff.
- If you finish an appointment early please let the Facility staff know so we may make the time available to others.
- For the FACS Calibur, we are waiving the Cancellation Penalty if you must cancel your time within the 36-hour lock out period. This is to encourage users to schedule experiments with some uncertainty on these instruments. If you must cancel, please contact the facility at 6-1530 to notify us that your experiment was cancelled. This has been put in place to accomodate investigators with clinical patients that may not show up or cancel their appointments.