Session #2 will introduce students to concepts of population health improvement and to the use of a practice registry. This session will require students to prepare in advance with readings and powerpoint/video provided on line (see below).
Campuses may vary in when individual sessions are covered. Since preparation is crucial for all sessions, students should check their individual AHEC clerkship session schedule!
Preparation in advance of session:
- Watch powerpoint with sound on Patient Centered Medical Home narrated by Mounsey
- Read article on New Models of Primary Care by Newton et al
- Read article on Self Management by Coleman and Newton
- Download teaching registry to your laptop and become familiar with how data is laid out
At the end of Session #2 students will be able to:
- Define core terms used in population health management
- Describe new models of care to manage health of populations
- Use registries to explore characteristics of patient populations
- Plan interventions to improve health of populations using data from registries, new models of care, and local resources
What is due for Session #2? Review the above preparation materials to be ready for a short quiz at the beginning of the session.