This Learning Session is part of the CARE Assignment and takes place during orientation. The full CARE assignment is described in more detail elsewhere. Students will be introduced to concepts of minimally disruptive medicine and refine skills of motivational interviewing. Preparation for this session is crucial and will be assessed by a quiz.
Preparation in advance of session:
- Watch Video on Minimally Disruptive Medicine by Victor Montori http://vimeo.com/6328967 (26 minutes)
- Read article on motivational interviewing by Stewart and Fox
- Read article on social determinants of (un)healthy behaviors by Chin et al.XX
At the end of orientation students will be able to:
- describe concepts of minimally disruptive medicine
- describe patient centered approaches to care
- describe important social determinants of health
- discuss importance of prioritizing among disease specific guidelines in patients with multiple comorbidities
- demonstrate effective strategies of motivational interviewing and goal setting.