The Family Medicine clerkship will focus on:
- Knowledge needed to diagnose and manage common acute and chronic conditions across age groups seen in outpatient family medicine settings.
- Clinical and Communication Skills to take accurate histories, perform focused physical exams, develop evidence based differentials, generate cost effective management plans, and communicate those plans effectively with patients in outpatient family medicine settings.
- Skills to integrate preventive care into outpatient practice
- Skills to elicit and understand patients' lives over time and how this context influences care
- Integrating evidence relevant to primary care settings, learning about quality improvement, working with population of patients, and understanding systems of care; these are concepts embodied by the Patient Centered Medical Home model