We perform more than 19,000 GI endoscopic procedures each year at our three state-of-the art GI Procedures Units. Anesthesiology professionals and skilled endoscopy nurses are available to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. Ongoing programs aim to further improve quality, maximize efficiency, and enhance patient experiences and comfort. More than 97% of patients would recommend us to a family member or friend, and we consistently exceed benchmarks on all quality measures.
- At the UNC Medical Center GI Procedures Unit we perform a full range of general endoscopic procedures (upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, and colonoscopy) and advanced endoscopic procedures (capsule endoscopy, deep enteroscopy, ERCP, endoscopic ultrasound, and PEG/feeding tube placement, endoscopic treatment of Barrett’s esophagus) for inpatients and outpatients in all states of health.
- At the nearby UNC Hospitals Endoscopy Center at Meadowmont, we provide general endoscopic procedures (upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, and colonoscopy), as well as endoscopic treatment of Barrett’s esophagus and internal hemorrhoids for outpatients who are less medically complex.
- At the nearby UNC Hillsborough Medical Office Building, we provide general endoscopic procedures (upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, and colonoscopy) for outpatients who are less medically complex.
- Medical Directors: Ian Grimm, MD (UNC Medical Center), Sid Levinson, MD (UNC Hospitals Endoscopy Center at Meadowmont), and Melissa Rich, MD (UNC at Hillsborough).
- Director of Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy: Todd Baron, MD, FASGE
- Nurse Managers: Jocelyn Gladney Allsbrook BSN-RN, CPAN, Rhonda Nelson, RN, Nina McCullock, RN.
- Each site is staffed by UNC gastroenterology faculty members, GI nurses, and anesthesiology professionals. Gastroenterology fellows assist at UNC Medical Center.
How to Schedule an Appointment
Your referring physician should simply fax a completed procedure request form (available here) to 919-966-8674. Upon receipt, our scheduling office will call you and, based on your availability and your answers to a brief series of questions, schedule the appointment. You may also refer yourself if you are generally healthy and due for a screening or surveillance colonoscopy. If you have any questions or need to reschedule your appointment, please call 919-966-5563. After hours, messages may be left at 919-966-2319.
How to Contact Us
Please contact us at 919-966-5563. After hours, messages may be left at 919-966-2319. After normal working hours, if you have urgent questions about a procedure that has already been scheduled please call 919-966-4131 and ask to page the GI fellow on call.
Maps and Directions
Maps and directions to our three locations are available here.
What to Expect and Frequently Asked Questions
To learn more about what to expect and for answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.