Who we serve
Do you have patients who have a personal and/or family history of colorectal and other cancers and feel they may be at risk?
The UNC High-Risk Gastrointestinal Cancer Clinic provides risk assessment, genetic counseling services, genetic testing, individualized screening and treatment protocols incorporating the latest evidence-based practices.
We can provide patients concerned about a family history of cancer with the information they need to make informed choices, assess risks and plan their futures.
The high-risk gastrointestinal cancer clinic provides collaborative care delivered by a crossdisciplinary team for patients and families who may be affected by a hereditary GI cancer syndrome.
We understand that every person’s situation is unique. Our goal is to empower patients and families with the information they need in a compassionate setting, providing peace of mind.
Patients who have had
- More than 10 colon polyps in their lifetime
- A personal or family history of cancer or polyps
- younger than age 50
- More than one type of cancer diagnosis
- A second diagnosis of the same cancer
Genetic testing can provide the information that patients and families need to make informed choices, assess risks, and plan for tomorrow. Genetic information may help your patients: Determine if they are at risk for cancer
- Create an individualized screening and prevention plan
- Personalize treatment for those already diagnosed
- Understand family history of cancer
- Assess risk for other family members
- Provide peace of mind
What to expect
- A detailed medical history and the medical history of relatives.
- A discussion of important issues such as what to do with your genetic and family history
- information and who to tell.
- If necessary, assistance in follow up or records acquisition.
- Genetic testing, if indicated.
- A personalized screening or care plan tailored to the individual needs and history of each patient
Robert S. Sandler, MD, MPH, Gastroenterology
Timothy Sadiq, MD, GI Surgery
James Evans, MD, PhD, Genetics
Catherine Fine, MS, Genetic Counselor
For More Information or to Refer a Patient