Determining if Weight-Loss Surgery is the right choice.
Weight-loss Information Seminar:
Please join us for an information session to learn how weight-loss surgeries can help you or someone you care about. In the sessions, members of UNC Health Care's team - one of the nation's leading Bariatric groups - provide details on the options for weight-loss surgery and on the benefits of UNC's personalized approach.
1. Attend Information Seminar
UNC Wellness Center:
- Seminars are held on the 4th Tuesday of each month from 6-7pm.
- Located at Meadowmont, 100 Sprunt St. Chapel Hill, NC 27517.
- Led by either Dr. Timothy Farrell "or" Dr. Wayne Overby.
- Please call 919-966-8436 to register.
- Support Groups are generally held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month from 6-7pm. Exceptions will be noted below.
- The August support group will be held on August 27th.
- Located at Aesthetic Center, 151 Old University Station Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
- For questions, please call Bariatric Coordinator, Lisa Prestia, RN, CBN, at 919-966-8436.
2. Verify insurance information
You will need to call your insurance company to determine if Bariatric surgery is a covered benefit. (Note: We do not accept Medicaid). Most insurance requires 4 - 6 months of supervised diet and exercise programs with your Primary Care Provider, as well as a Letter of Support. The codes for the operative procedures are:
3. Complete the Application
You will need a complete assessment to see if Bariatric surgery is right for you including:
- An application reviewing your BMI, your weight-loss history, and any obesity-related health conditions.
- Submit the Bariatric Application Form.
- and .
4. Attend a multi-disciplinary clinic visit
This pre-surgical evaluation is an all-inclusive appointment:
- You will meet with a dietitian, psychologist, and nurse practitioner at the Highgate Specialty Clinic. Appointment letter.
- After this visit, the compiled information will be submitted to your insurance for final approval.
- Once approved, an appointment with the Bariatric surgeon will be scheduled.
5. Personalized Treatment
Together, we will take steps to determine:
- If surgery is the right treatment for you.
- The type of procedure that is right for you.
- If you are mentally and emotionally prepared to make lifelong lifestyle changes.
- That you have, or will have, the necessary support system around you as you get back to life after your weight-loss surgery.
Making Appointments for Tara Zychowicz, FNP:
- 919-966-8436, Make "new" appointment.
- 919-484-1015, Make "Return" appointment, effective 8/30/13.
- All appointments are located at: UNC Highgate Specialty Clinic, 5316 Highgate Dr. Suite 125, Durham, NC 27713.
- UNC H.