The mission of the Thrombosis Program is:
- To provide the best possible medical care to patients with thrombosis (blood clots) and individuals with thrombophilia (clotting disorders)
- To perform and enable clinical research and foster research collaborations with basic researchers
- To educate patients, health care providers, and the public about thrombosis and thrombophilia
Clinic Appointments and Referrals
The UNC Hematology Thrombosis Clinic serves patients with a variety of thrombosis related conditions.
- New and follow-up thrombosis patients should call the main line at (984) 974-2695.
- The fax line for new patient referrals only is (984) 974-2655. For all other information, please use fax number (984) 974-2654.
Wondering if you need to keep your follow-up appointment? Refer to our Thrombosis Clinic Appointment Guide for eleven reasons why you should keep you appointment.
Patient and Health Care Professional Education: Clot Connect
Clot Connect, online at www.ClotConnect.org, is an educational outreach project of the Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center.
Clot Connect emerged from the observation that blood clot survivors face many unique challenges including risks associated with anticoagulant use (blood thinners), the development of post-thrombotic disorders and increased risks for future clots. Blood clot survivors and their families need information and support to manage the effects of a blood clot and to prevent future clots. It was also recognized that health care professionals need easier access to the latest treatment options and scientific research related to the diagnosis, care and management of patients with blood clots and clotting disorders. Additionally, it was known that although blood clots area a common health condition, there exists low public awareness.
Clot Connect initiatives are targeted at:
- Persons who have experienced a blood clot
- Health care professionals
- Persons at high risk for developing a blood clot
- The General Public
To learn more about blood clots and clotting disorders, visit www.ClotConnect.org
Research and Clinical Trials
To learn more about thrombosis research and clinical trials at UNC, please see the "Research" section of the web site.