We use a patient - centered approach to treat patients with functional GI and motility disorders, such as chronic constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, fecal incontinence, chronic rectal pain, functional dyspepsia, functional nausea, and gastroparesis.
This includes outpatient consultations and ongoing care delivered by a multi-disciplinary team of gastroenterologists, a physician assistant, a clinical psychologist, and a registered nurse. In addition, we provide motility testing and pelvic floor biofeedback therapy.
How to Refer a Patient
ALL NEW PATIENTS MUST BE REFERRED BY A PHYSICIAN
Please have your physician fax a completed request form to:
- Outpatient consultation (PDF) to fax line.........919-966-3414
- Motility tests (MS WORD) to fax line.................919-966-8764.
- Biofeedback requests should be faxed to.....919-595-5943
- Please address biofeedback referrals to Dr. Mary Scholz
- Please note - patients being referred for biofeedback must have had anorectal manometry prior to biofeedback sessions. Form for anorectal manometry is available here.
- Questions about appointments and scheduling? Please call 919-966-6000.
Upon receipt, all referrals are reviewed and triaged by a faculty gastroenterologist. When appropriate, patients may be re-routed to our general gastroenterology clinic or another of our GI specialty clinics. Please note that we do not accept referrals directly from emergency departments nor for management of narcotic bowel syndrome. Also, due to high demand, we only rarely accept referrals from outside North Carolina.
How to Contact Us
- For general questions, please call 919-966-6000.
- For urgent clinical questions, please call 919-966-4131 and ask to page the GI ambulatory fellow
Participating in Research and Clinical Trials
Our center has a strong commitment to discovering new treatments for patients with functional GI disorders. Information regarding our current clinical research projects is provided here.
If you need hotel accommodations during your treatment here at UNC, please see the list of hotels near UNC below.
Directions to the Center can be found HERE.