Important Information about Coumadin® (generic name - Warfarin)
- You must have your blood checked regularly to prevent clots and bleeding.
- Many medicines interact with Coumadin®/Warfarin, so always call your doctor when your medicines change.
- Green vegetables can affect your Coumadin®/Warfarin, but don't stop eating them. Just eat the same amount every week.
- Anytime you see unusual bleeding or bruising, call the clinic or go to the ER.
- If you miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as possible on the same day. Do NOT take a double dose the next day to make up for the missed dose.
For patients who desire an alternative to Coumadin®/Warfarin click here for more information.
Tools and Handouts
Warfarin medication calendar - a 7-day calendar to record warfarin dose each day
Foods with Vitamin K - a list of low, medium and high vitamin K containing foods
Your Guide to Coumadin®/Warfarin Therapy - a booklet that reviews key issues with Coumadin®/Warfarin Therapy
Lovenox® Administration - provides instructions on how to inject Lovenox®
Helpful Patient Websites
http://www.stoptheclot.org/ - the National Alliance for Thrombosis and Thrombophilia (NATT) is a patient led advocacy group dedicated to prevent, diagnose and treat thrombosis and thrombophilia through research, education, support and advocacy.
http://www.clotcare.com- ClotCare website provides information to patients and clinicians on therapies used to prevent and/or treat unwanted blood clots