We look forward to working with you and your doctor to better control your pain
- You will meet with the Pain Service care assistant to discuss details about your pain. We will review what treatments you have tried in the past.
- This visit should last about 45 minutes once you check in.
- You will also be asked to sign a contract. Click here to access a copy of our Medication Contract.
- You will meet with the Pain Service specialist who will direct medical management.
- This visit should last about 1 hour once you check in.
- Bring the bottles of all pain medications that you are taking.
- Bring bottles of any pain medicines you took in the past that you still have.
- Bring any notes or letters you may have about your pain from doctors who are not in the UNC system.
- You will come to clinic every 4 weeks until your pain is stable. At that point, visits will be every 2 months to every 6 months, depending on how well you are doing, and what medications you are taking.
Contact information for the UNC General Medicine Pain Service
Please call us if you have any questions or cannot make it to your appointment.
For Patients Desiring Additional Pain Management Support:
Deborah Barrett, Ph.D., LCSW at the the psychiatry outpatient practice works with adults with chronic pain and comorbid disorders. She runs a weekly skills-based therapy group that includes psycho-education, mindfulness training, and specific skills from Dialectical Behavioral Treatment (DBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) tailored to reduce suffering. All potential group members would be required to meet first with Deborah for an assessment and orientation. She will also offer limited spots for individual therapy.
You can schedule directly by calling the adult outpatient line for new patients and schedule with Kelley Thompson at 984-974-5217. Please leave a message on her voicemail and she'll call back to schedule. Make sure you specify that they want to be seen for chronic pain and mention Ms. Barrett by name