UNC Internal Medicine & UNC Ophthalmology are working together to improve the care we provide to our patients with diabetes. We now provide routine diabetes eye exams in our clinic.
Now you can have your diabetes eye exam on the same day you see your doctor in the Internal Medicine Clinic.
Reasons for this visit:
- If you have diabetes, you need an eye exam at least once a year to screen for retinopathy (eye damage due to diabetes).
What to expect during the visit:
- We will perform routine eye screening.
- The screening should take about 15 minutes.
- We will take a digital picture of your eyes with our retinal camera.
- This screening does not require your eyes to be dilated.
- All pictures are sent to a UNC eye doctor and evaluated.
- We will mail normal results of the exam to you.
- Some patients will need to be seen in clinic to follow-up possible problems seen in the picture.
- We will call you if an appointment with UNC Ophthalmology (eye clinic) is needed.
What to do to get ready for the visit:
- Follow your normal routine.
- No special preparation is needed.
- Your eyes do not have to be dilated.
Contact information for UNC Internal Medicine’s Retinal Camera/Diabetes Eye Screening:
Phone: 919.966-1459 or Toll-Free: 1.866.633.8002
Please call us if you have any questions or can not make it to your appointment.