Charlotte Longitudinal Integrated Curriculum (CLIC)
Mission: To develop excellent physicians who provide compassionate and seamless care through an educational program that emphasizes continuity, innovation, ethics and service within a dynamic integrated health care system.
What is CLIC? CLIC is an innovative pilot curriculum for highly motivated 3rd and 4th year students that combines the strengths of our inpatient and emergency services and our community practices. CLIC students will:
- Engage in active learning on our inpatient services to gain familiarity with the hospital and experience care of the acutely ill and complex patient (Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Neurology and OB/Gyn).
- Manage their own panel of patients throughout the year.
- Experience one-on-one precepting with outstanding community-based physicians from mid-October to June (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Neurology and OB/Gyn).
- Work a once-a-week shift in our Emergency Department, one of the best in the nation, to gain experience in the diagnosis and treatment of acute undifferentiated problems and procedures.
- Learn to navigate the second largest health care system in the nation.
- Participate in weekly CLIC classes over the 3rd and 4th clinical years.
- Sessions will integrate the 3rd and 4th year clerkships’ goals and objectives with case conferences and simulation exercises. Our Simulation Center is one of only seven dually accredited centers in the nation. Further, students will learn use of ultrasound across disciplines over a two year span.
- Sessions will also develop knowledge and skills in leadership, ethics, health policy and service.
- Have opportunities to elect experiences in practices serving Spanish-speaking patients and urban underserved patients.
How do I apply for CLIC?
- Wednesday, September 26th - written application due.
- Early October – invitations sent to selected applicants.
- Friday, October 26th - tour and interview at Charlotte Campus.
What are my obligations if accepted for CLIC?
- The student commits to participating for both the 3rd and 4th year in Charlotte.
- 4th year audition rotations, A.I and electives can be completed off-site and in Chapel Hill.